how reliable VTi 120 engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how reliable VTi 120 engine?

I've been reading on here with increasing alarm at the problems people are having with the THP engine.
    In France, 99% buyers go for diesel as the running costs are halved and cars are used daily (public transport outside of major cities non existent) on traffic free roads

I am deciding tonight between a Mini Cooper and a DS3 VTi 1.6 petrol. Lots of short trips, often left parked for a week or more, then 3- 4x a year a 3000 mile round trip.

The price of the DS3 is good; the car's great BUT how reliable are they in general?

I may add I'm not usually lucky with matters mechanical. My previous car was a Twingo Classic; they normally get to 300000kms and are as sound as a bell. Mine's cylinder head springs snapped at 49 000 kms.......I'm nervous here guys. French cars?! Comfy but unreliable?

As far as I know the 120 has been fine

I have one and she has never missed a trick or kicked up any faults after 21k miles.

Mine is comfy, reliable and looks good
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Tati View Post
      I am deciding tonight between a Mini Cooper and a DS3 VTi 1.6 petrol
      Having looked at the Mini, there's loads of them on the roads, so for me it's nice to be different with the DS3 (There doesn't seem to be too many near where I live).

I also think that the DS3's interior, especially the dash board, is much better looking than the Mini's, plus it's got a decent boot.

The choice was easy for me.

Comment

Why Would You Even Consider A Mini ovr A DS3 ? Eww...

I'd get The DSport HDi If Im Honest, It Seems To Be The best Model In the Range With All The Sport Extras But None Of The Problems Of The THP...

Comment

[QUOTE=ZACK;49327]Why Would You Even Consider A Mini ovr A DS3 ? Eww...QUOTE]

Didn't say I considered it, just looked at it. Not for too long either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.C View Post
            Originally posted by ZACK View Post
            Why Would You Even Consider A Mini ovr A DS3 ? Eww...
            Didn't say I considered it, just looked at it. Not for too long either.
            I Wasn't Talking To You... -_- I Was Asking Tati...

I am deciding tonight between a Mini Cooper and a DS3 VTi 1.6 petrol.

Comment

Don't forget that forums attract more folks with problems than those who are trouble free. The THP motor has been used for some time in peugeots and Minis and whilst there have been issues I suspect that most folks have no probs. Touch wood mine has been fantastic for 15000 miles .........hope I don't regret saying that!
              Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

Having looked at the Mini.........
                Now Now Zack.

Means I must have considered it, so your post could have been directed at me.

You'll have to be more specific if you want to post to individuals lol
                Last edited by Mr.C; 14-11-2011, 19:33.

Comment

I've owned Both the 120 Vti and now the 110 Hdi.

Did 17,000 miles in my old 120vti and it never missed a beat.. loved to be revved! and took all the abuse i could through at it (which was alot)

The 110 hdi is completely different animal and i'm still getting used to driving a diesel.. slightly more turbo lag than i would of liked but hopefully the remap should solve that.

Comparing the 120Vti to the 1.6 mini cooper i'd say the mini is too small and a lot harder ride but slightly more fun in the twisty stuff but not as well spec'd
                  Also the Mini doesn't look as good

Si

Comment

I am deciding tonight between a Mini Cooper and a DS3 VTi 1.6 petrol.
                    And the winner was.................................

Comment

And the winner was.................................
                      Come on Tati.

The winner was..........................................

Comment

Working...
                      X