Tapping/Rattling Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapping/Rattling Noise

Hi everyone. I've already had a pretty good look through the forums for something like this and although I found some similar threads, they were mostly relating to the THP engine, wheereas I have the 1.6 VTi.

So anyways, I was sitting in my car on my break at work and when I opened the window to flick my fag ash I notice this pretty loud ticking noise coming from the engine bay. So being somewhat of a mechanical noob I started to get a little worried.

A guy from my work mentioned something about the tappets? He sounded pretty convinced that was what it sounded like as he has had problems with them in a previous car of his.

Was just wondering if this was maybe something to do with any of the following:

Cold weather/Car sitting idle (When I rev, the noise stops)
    The car being new (1.1k miles on the clock)
    Me being overly paranoid about any noise in my new car?

Thanks in advance people!

Dstyle+ 1.6 VTi, Red/Black

the vacuum pump on my THP clacks quite loudly at start up on a cold morning - it was replaced last winter but it's no quieter than the original one. The noise never completely goes away. I've just accepted that these 'Prince' engines are not the quietest engines ever made!

I think that your VTi engine may have one too - its a metal 'can' at the top right hand of the engine, driven off the end of the front camshaft from memory
    Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

I think my 120 does similar. And my C3 used to make a ticking sound - I named her Chitty, after Chitty Chitty Bang Bang . . . .You'll get used to me and my weird ways.

As my engine has settled in she has more of a grumble to her, and more so when I accelerate. After her first service nothing was flagged up.

Could you record a video so we can see what is going on?
      My DS3R3... nearly....
      New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Someone With A VTi Posted Up the Same thread This Week,

It's Nothing To Worry About Bigfeet ( Our Citroen Expert ) Says All Of The Citroen VTi Engines Do This When Cold,

Just Enjoy Your Car

Comment

Ah, sweet. Thats a huge weight off my mind! Kinda wish I knew a little more about how my car worked so in future I'd maybe be able to diagnose these things myself.

Oh well, you guys will have to do for now I guess!

Thanks for the help
          Dstyle+ 1.6 VTi, Red/Black

Comment

Working...
          X