Boot Struts failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Struts failure

This is weird let my boot up the other day and and when it got to full travel it made a funny noise and down came the boot lid with a crash. I have only had the car 6 months it had done 20,000 but has been looked after. Both struts have failed at the top end the plastic ball joints have broken. £28 each to replace. anyone else had this happen?

Surely this would be done under warranty?

Comment

I would have to agree that the struts should have been replaced under the guarantee, still not heard of this happening before. Normally the struts will last out for some time before the seal start to go and then they will no longer support the weight.
      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
      Bigfeet's File Repository
      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

well service next month so one way or another they will get sorted. but they failed at the top of the travel maybe someone in the past forced the boot to high causing a weakness.

Comment

Update

So car had been in for the 25.000 mile service and I was told boot struts not covered under warranty had to cough up £74. I asked to speak with the Service manager and the Technician ( aparantly they are no longer called mechanics not sure why) who serviced the car and made the decision. I had incorrectly assumed that Citroen would be involved in any warranty claim but aparantly this was left to the dealeship. Technician. In the end the service manager said he would ask Citroen to make a judgement. They decided it would come under the warrenty and the next day my account was reimbursed. That made me happy as their view was I had forced the tailgate beyond its limits. Though I accept this may be possible I cant understand, without using brute force and probably more strength than I have, this would happen. It is possible the previous owner may have done something but judging how well the car was looked after I doubt it.
          After all said and done my local dealership are very accomodating and provide a good service in very pleasent surroundings, and we got there in the end.

Comment

Glad you got it all sorted out, it does sound like to me that they had sent away a prior approval but didn't have an answer by the time your struts were replaced which would explain why you were asked to pay. In cases like this it is easier to refund.
            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
            Bigfeet's File Repository
            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Happy to hear it worked out for you.
              Originally posted by cyclone
              It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
              Originally posted by Broda
              I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

My tailgate opens halfway, then I have to pull open fully. Is this normal??
                The garage says this is a safety measure so not to scrape in a garage or the like....
                Never had a car that does this before, are they telling me fibs?
                61 CITROEN DS3 diesel 1.6 e-HDi 110 Airdream DSport Plus, Polar White Black roof

Comment

Yeah mine does the same

Comment

Wow so does mine, I thought it was cos I hadn't opened it with enough lift
                    sigpic

Comment

So it's a Ds3 thing then.. That's ok

Thanks guys

5 days into my new car and just getting use to it. :rolleyes:
                      Last edited by Jerry W; 07-03-2013, 22:24.
                      61 CITROEN DS3 diesel 1.6 e-HDi 110 Airdream DSport Plus, Polar White Black roof

Comment

Got mine booked in for Thursday to look at mine. My partners New DS3's tailgate opens very quickly, whereas my tailgate I have to push it up sometimes to get it fully open.
                        Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Originally posted by Toxic View Post
                          Got mine booked in for Thursday to look at mine. My partners New DS3's tailgate opens very quickly, whereas my tailgate I have to push it up sometimes to get it fully open.
                          I found mine is quite slow if I've not used the boot for a while. If I open and close it 4-5 times all the way then it usually goes back to normal. I would imagine it's the lubrication on the lifters.
                          - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                          - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by Toxic View Post
                            Just swap them with your partners
                            DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
                            Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

They are replacing them today under warranty.
                              Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Working...
                              X