DS3 Racing hesitancy/loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS3 Racing hesitancy/loss of power

So I'm finally driving my DS3 Racing and it's fantastic. Only my third car and am really made up I got someone so fast at 19. My issue is though, it's hopefully getting it's rocket cover gasket replaced to have an oil leak fixed, and also having a service (car is cat D so unfortunately don't know any previous history). The main reason I'm having it serviced is to try and fix the hesitancy issue it has. Originally I showed it to a mechanic friend of mine and he's plugged in it and the error codes for superknocks etc. Are appearing. He thought maybe a simply coil pack would fix it or something similar. I've been since looking at potential mods to do and have come across a few of the horror stories that people have experienced with racing's and it's got me proper paranoid. Obviously it's gonna seem like all of them are going wrong seeing as that's what forums are for, problem solving. Tried my best to look at all the related articles and get a better idea of what I'm facing but I'm just wondering if it is gonna be marked for death with this issue seeing as half the people I've seen with the same problem have said about engine replacements etc. And others have said coil packs and cleaning the carbon buildup should sort it. Does anyone have any insight into this? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Get it walnut blasted. Or if you're going to be taking it apart then take the head off and manually clean the valves. If you do this, check pistons and piston rings for damage and pray to god they are ok.

Then monitor fuel pressures on idle and full load. If erratic or way too low then consider replacing HPFP.

Change coils and plugs like mentioned if they look fouled. Recommended interval is 40k miles but could be fouled much earlier.

Check timing and fuel trims, short and long term.

Check timing chain itself for stretching and check tensioner.

Run on V-Power if you aren't already.

Consider adding catch cans - several threads on here about them.

That's about all I've learnt about THP engines in my time here, but there's probably more that others can add.
    Last edited by BenS; 16-10-2017, 14:30.
    ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
    Join the Facebook Group!
    Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Ok brilliant. Really appreciate the advice. Do you think it can be resolved then? Seen a fair few posts saying that not even Citroen have been able to remedy the problem...

Comment

Everything Ben said. Also, Jamie at SP Tuning is the best guy to speak to about this.
        - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
        - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by ACaldwell View Post
          Seen a fair few posts saying that not even Citroen have been able to remedy the problem...
          This is because Citroen can't be arsed to properly address the issues like BMW did.

Join the Facebook Group!
          Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Hahaha. Thanks for the advice, seems like it most likely needs a walnut blast from what you've said. I'll give Jamie a message just to see what he thinks.

Comment

Did bmw address the problem then ? First i've heard of it. They scrapped the 1.6 engines and went baxk to 2.0, didn't they ?

Comment

Originally posted by V3nn3tj3 View Post
                Did bmw address the problem then ? First i've heard of it. They scrapped the 1.6 engines and went baxk to 2.0, didn't they ?
                See they fixed their THP problem!
                Originally posted by cyclone
                It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                Originally posted by Broda
                I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Ha ha cyclone
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by V3nn3tj3 View Post
                    Didn't they have a massive recall on early Cooper S models to fix timing or something? And then revise components for later models better and faster than PSA did? Also heard BMW customer care was better than PSA for these issues.
                    Join the Facebook Group!
                    Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post

See they fixed their THP problem!
                      Lol
                      Join the Facebook Group!
                      Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Originally posted by BenS View Post
                        Also heard BMW customer care was better than PSA for these issues.
                        What??? You mean BMW didn't take the 'head in the sand, what issue?' approach?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BenS
                          Didn't they have a massive recall on early Cooper S models to fix timing or something? And then revise components for later models better and faster than PSA did? Also heard BMW customer care was better than PSA for these issues.
                          I would suggest BMW customer care is better than PSA in every way haha
                          Get what you paid for and that

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

DStort
                          DSport interior | 130bhp Chipped | Powerflow Exhaust

Comment

Update. Had the car hydrocleaned the other day and issue seems to have subsided. Exhaust sounds a lot healthier and it seems to be running smoother overall. Thanks for all the help, I was really paranoid after reading some of the stories of racings haha.

Comment

Hydroclean is by no means a long term fix. Hardly touches the deposits but seems to have reduced it enough to stop the misfires. It'll still need a walnut blast or a manual scrub - whichever of those turns out cheaper for you.
                              Join the Facebook Group!
                              Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Working...
                              X