New car is this normal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car is this normal??

im just about to purchase a 63 plate DS3 Dsport and it has 30k miles on it, this is the gear knob. Basically is this normal amount of wear for its age and mileage and is it a sign of potential problems in the future

This is the sign of someone who wears rings and never lifts it hand of the gear knob. Personally i always tell people to not keep hold of the gear shifter as this causes stress in the gearbox. But this is mainly on gearboxes that use a linkage system and not cables. Cables have a little bit of give...

Comment

Btw, a ds3 uses cables...

Comment

So with the mileage you don’t recon there will have been any adverse effects one the gearbox etc?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can't really tell. If they drive with the hand on the knob, they might be driving with the foot on the clutch...
          No way of knowing without seeing the car and driving it... So anwser is, i don't know.

Comment

Wow that is really worn isn't it? I've not seen one that bad before. It's going to be difficult to tell if there are any issues with the car based on that though. Is the steering wheel worn badly too? What about the pedals and seats? Is this a private or trade sale? If trade, see if they will replace it for you as part of the sale.
            DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Funky
              Wow that is really worn isn't it? I've not seen one that bad before. It's going to be difficult to tell if there are any issues with the car based on that though. Is the steering wheel worn badly too? What about the pedals and seats? Is this a private or trade sale? If trade, see if they will replace it for you as part of the sale.
              It seemed nice when I test drove it, nice and smooth to turn and didn’t look worn.

Here’s the ad for it - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01709309814507

Comment

Go with your gut feeling. It's usually the right one. The link didn't work for me though.

Comment

Go with your gut feeling. It's usually the right one. The link didn't work for me though.
                  https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01709309814507

Comment

Ah yeah that one worked. Looks OK from the pics, apart from the gear knob, which you have already pointed out. The DS3 badge on the back is... erm..... interesting!!

Comment

Looks like the S fell off and got stuck back on upside-down on the pin...
                      ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
                      Join the Facebook Group!
                      Join the Discord Server!

Comment

My OCD says the letters are wonky and the accent is missing too. I'm guessing it was de-badged

Perhaps the previous owner had a custom knob and that one spent 29k miles rolling around in the boot

Comment

As said above, knob is not normal, I have done 36k in mine with no noticeable damage. Also the badge is wrong, looks like the it fell off / was removed and was put back in the wrong place.

Based on those couple of things, I’d get the dealer to fix them before even considering purchasing.

Another thing is it’s a THP just under 30k miles, first thing I’d do if purchased is take it to Jamie at SP Tuning for a walnut blast and check over. They’re a great engine when working (I’ve had 2), but prone to coking up the valves and the timing going out (causing further issues).
                          - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                          - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Agreed with everything Beefy has said. Mines done 40K and isn't worn at all.

Comment

Ah yeah that one worked. Looks OK from the pics, apart from the gear knob, which you have already pointed out. The DS3 badge on the back is... erm..... interesting!!
                              How do you mean? Because the S is in a different place that’s all I can see from looking at others

Comment

Working...
                              X