spark plug gap 1.6 vti 120 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plug gap 1.6 vti 120 engine

Looking for the spark plug gap on my wifes 1.6 vti engine. I changed the plugs as the old ones where done but as soon as I started the engine, a fault came up so I was thinking the gap was wrong. I have looked in the manual but no mention of the spark plug gap is in there and a substantive google search hasn't been successful.

Done a search on here without much luck too. Looks like I will have to put the old plugs back in.

Gary.

Hi. I think most plugs are pre gapped now. I'm just about to replace mine and was shocked at the cost of them, so guessing it can't take any old plug.

The link below takes you to details on the Bosch plugs for it
    http://www.caarparts.co.uk/service-p...011/Parts.aspx

I found them.cheapest here

Comment

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332234762956

Comment

I fitted a set this morning. The gap looked rather large but I thought "ah its pre gapped" but as soon as I started the engine I got an engine fall come up on the screen and the car was a bit ruff. Looks like I will put the old ones back in to see if it runs better again.

Gary.

Comment

Are you sure it's not in the owner's manual? I changed mine back in April as part of a fix for a misfire code I was having, which has been sorted since. Although I can't remember the recommendation off the top of my head, I don't remember having to search around to find it out.

I'll have a look after work for you, pal

Comment

Changed the plugs today with Bosch and all ok, all pre gapped, no issues. Looked like old ones hadn't been changed in the life of car, so weren't looking that great.

happy motoring

Comment

Not pointing at anyone in particular but I think the notion that "plugs are pre-gapped" is silliness.

Plugs of the same part number are sold for many different engines and there is no way they are "pre-gapped" for your application, regardless of what box it is in.
              Regards,

Simon

2011 DS3 DSport (Sport Red with Onyx Black Roof).
              2014 208 GTi (Calado Blue).

Comment

Originally posted by SLC View Post
                Not pointing at anyone in particular but I think the notion that "plugs are pre-gapped" is silliness.

Plugs of the same part number are sold for many different engines and there is no way they are "pre-gapped" for your application, regardless of what box it is in.
                Spark plugs today do indeed come from the manufacturers pre-gapped, common sharing of spark plugs between engines from differing manufacturers supplied to common sharing vehicle manufacturers with the same pre-pap is common practice, the engines although maybe found in various differing vehicles have a very common link, therefore share the same spark plug/s with a common pre-gap, eliminating the human error from one service technician who can or can't gap a spark plug correctly or consistently, which can lead to too much variation and poor engine performance, that said, any technician worthy of his wage should always check the spark plugs pre-gap incase any spark plug/s have been dropped or damaged before the technician instals them.
                Performance Powered By Thought
                Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Working...
                X