Friday afternoon car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday afternoon car?

Beginning to think I’m the unluckiest ds3 owner, got my car in November and in that time it’s had faulty thermostat and housing, snapped a front spring, then drop link, snapped rear spring, exhaust snapped all brackets so new exhaust fitted, all discs and pads (wear and tear on those), two camshaft sensors failed and replaced and now driving the car today “engine fault, repair needed”, put my code reader on and it’s showing P0014 fault, the warning light has gone off but it will return as the code comes back when cleared, anyone any clues on this, I’ve googled it but it could be oil requires changing, faulty sensor, timing chain jumped or faulty cam rail?

Timing chain problems are generally preceded by a metallic rattle when cold, a bit like machine gun fire but quieter.

Given your other sensor woes, I'd lean towards it being yet another gone tits up
    ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
    Join the Facebook Group!
    Join the Discord Server!

Comment

I’ve been googling like mad tonight (rock n roll) and I’m gonna get an oil and filter change with decent oil and buy a vvt solenoid and try that, it doesn’t rattle at all and was still running really well so hopefully that’s it, had only set off a few minutes earlier and done about half a mile, I’ll be using my partners fiat 500 me thinks for a while

Comment

I'm guessing this is a THP ?
        The p0014 is the exhaust camshaft? But reading what you are saying you have the one with double variable camshafts ? If the gear is slipping you would have retarted camshaft, not an advanced one... Try new solonoid, still doenst explain it. The solonoid only advances the camshaft i think... Wierd problem...

Comment

Mines a vti, I’ve found loads of info on pug sites, I’m gonna go for engine flush and oil change plus solenoid too and fingers crosssd

Comment

*****UPDATE*****

i know it’s probably common knowledge on here but please ensure you replace your engine oil at regular intervals with the best quality you can afford, I dropped my oil at the weekend and replaced the filter, the old oil was crap, it’s not that long since a service, I’m now doubtful it was even changed, anyhow I put in some good quality fully synthetic oil then removed the VVT solenoid, dipped it in some degreaser for a while then connected the terminals to a battery, switching it on and off, loads of crud came out, it’s now clean, I replaced it and cleared the fault code, took it for a quick spin and wow it’s a different car, VVT is a good idea but it needs the oil to be quality oil, I’ll always be checking when serviced from now on

Comment

Never thought premium oil would make such a big difference! Well, the cleaning out of the gunk probably helped a lot too... Maybe it'd help my intermittent lurching issue when crawling in traffic around 1500rpm. I think it's got to be either the VVT being indecisive or the electronic throttle not knowing how to respond to such a light input and fluttering all over the place. Usually when I come off the throttle in second gear and it drops from 1600 to 1500, that's the main lurch range. Totally happy to pull along in idle in second, but that little rev band is a nightmare.
              ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
              Join the Facebook Group!
              Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Mine lurches occasionally, usually when it’s cold first thing but not too bad, quirky cars

Comment

Hi my car is showing fault code P0014 the same as your car. Did doing the oil change stop the fault from reoccurring.
                  I’m thinking it’s cambelt related. Is a DS3 a belt or chain? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X