Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DS3 THP 1.6. Shakes, trembles, misfires then limps, anti pollution system faulty.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS3 THP 1.6. Shakes, trembles, misfires then limps, anti pollution system faulty.

Hi everyone. This is going to be a long one but I want to try and give as much information as I can. I am really needing some advice.
    Ive been having issues with my much loved 2010 DS3 THP 1.6.
    Approx 3 weeks ago my car misfired then started limping and said ‘anti pollution system faulty’. (I believe my car has been misfiring before this time but the local garage (HiQ) kept saying it’s fine or they could find nothing wrong)

Anyway, it started limping. The AA came and said cylinder 3 misfire. Fault cleared and it stopped limping and he told me to drive straight to garage. I took it to a different garage that had been recommended to me by a friend that isn’t a chain.
    They changed spark plugs then swapped around the coil cooling packs to find the fault, it seems to be intermittent. When you turn the car off it goes. And he didn’t feel the packs are the issue. He was leaning towards a computer issue, or possibly injectors. But he was sure it’s the computer playing up. In the end he sent my car to citroen for a recall part which was the turbo cooling pump I believe. And asked them about the issues I’m having. They pretty much refused to help unless they were doing the work and would only do the recall but doubted it would fix it.
    A few days later Citroen called me told me the recall work was complete and this had fixed the issue I was having and the car is running great, to my surprise. I asked have they test driven it and they assured me they had. So I went there all happy to collect my car.
    ‘After driving for approx 15-20 minutes heading straight to my job from citroen, I was on a dual carriageway going around 60 then big chug and ‘antibpollution system faulty’ and limp mode. Furious. Pulled over, turned car off. Turn car on, limp mode gone, but engine light on. Spoke to my garage who said he spoke to a guy about my my car and he still thinks it’s a software issue and recommended going back to citroen as they have fancier diagnostics and may find the electrical fault quicker.
    Citroen had my car a couple of days then called to say it was cooling pack one but they recommended changing them all. So that’s what they did. A few days later (today) they say my car is fixed and ready to go. They said it’s had 2 extended test drives and assured me there is no misfire and the car is good to go. So i picked it up. I took it on a test drive instead of home. Sitting at lights it trembles, just like it’s shaking the whole time. On acceleration on motorway i put my foot down and rather than quickly speeding up it will do a couple of chugs then begin to accelerate. Is that not a misfire? But no limp or fault showing.
    Im still unsure if the cooling packs are/we’re the whole issue? Could it be more computery? I have to go away in the car at the beginning of March and I really don’t need to it dying/limping on the motorway and not sure if I should trust it?
    Has anyone experienced issues like this? As I’m not sure what to do next as I know nothing about engines. I’m concerned about throwing money I don’t have at an issue that isn’t getting solved. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Sounds like either the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) dying, or a lot of carbonisation on the intake valves which will need cleaning off.

There's a lot of info about both the HPFP and carbon on this forum and the Mini Cooper S forums as they share the same engine. Get an app like TorquePro to read your fuel pressures or ask the garage to monitor it, and look for irregularities or a lack of responsiveness. For the carbon, look into the intake with an endoscope cam.

Worst case scenario, your piston has cracked in cylinder 3, which is the notorious one for it because of the poor heat management in that small area of the engine. Doubt this will be the case though.
    ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
    Join the Facebook Group!
    Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Firstly welcome to the club and secondly it sucks that you are having these issues with your DS3. I agree with Ben it's either the HPFP or carbon build up on the inlet valves.
      DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

Agree with what others have said. Go and see Jamie at SP Tuning, he’ll sort you out.
        - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
        - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome and your comments You have been a massive help!

So far since yesterday I have read a lot of threads on here and google and feel a bit more confident.

Today I put a can of BG44K in my fuel tank and then filled up. Can’t hurt I figured.

I rang Citroen who weren’t overly helpful, when I was asking for quotes for above mentioned things they just said bring it in (and gave me no quotes) to which I said no. I’ve already tried that twice.

Tomorrow I will be going to the garage I trust and will get him to quote me on the intake cleaning and possibly a new HPTP if the cleaning doesn’t solve it.

At least now I have a plan action. Which I didn’t have before finding you, so huge thank you to you

i would happily take my car to SP tuning but may be a bit far from me and I don’t trust my car enough right now to get there without limping.

Comment

Just a word of advice on valve cleaning, fuel additives or any cleaning method which goes through the fuel injectors has no effect, as where the engine injects directly into the cylinders, there is no contact with the intake valves. Many other advertised cleaning solutions like Terraclean or hydrogen cleaning also have little to no effect.

The only two proven methods to 100% clean up the valves are walnut blasting or manually scrubbing them which requires a lot of work to take the engine apart. Unfortunately there's only a couple of places in the country which offer walnut blasts for DS3s, as the more common BMW equipment for doing the Mini is too large to fit in the DS3 engine bay.

Hope you can get it back to being the car you love without too high a price tag!
            ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
            Join the Facebook Group!
            Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Ahh right thanks for that, so it’s looking like walnut blasting may be the thing to try?

Comment

So should I try and get it in at SP tuning and hope it drives ok do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by LauraM View Post
                  Ahh right thanks for that, so it’s looking like walnut blasting may be the thing to try?
                  Definitely recommended if it's never been done. What is the mileage on the car?
                  - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                  - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

It’s done 50K. The hard part would be getting it to Leicester and what to do with myself while it’s there, I’d imagine walnut blasting takes a while to do?
                    ‘I’m in Northampton so it’s not too far really, could be worse

Comment

Originally posted by LauraM View Post
                      It’s done 50K. The hard part would be getting it to Leicester and what to do with myself while it’s there, I’d imagine walnut blasting takes a while to do?
                      ‘I’m in Northampton so it’s not too far really, could be worse
                      If you can get it to Hinckley, it's not far to walk into town from SPTuning - maybe half an hour or so BeefMasta and I went and watched a movie at the cinema and then had lunch while we were waiting for his to be walnut blasted in the summer.

(also hi! Welcome to the club, I'm originally from Northampton )
                      Current: DS 3 Performance, Perla Nera Black with Sparkly Purple roof
                      Previous: DS3 DStyle 120 VTi, Perla Nera Black with Fuchsia roof

Comment

Oh so it’s not an all day job? That’s easy enough then. It’s just getting it there, hopefully it will behave enough to make it. I shall get in contact with sp tuning tomorrow then as from what I’ve seen online, it’s the only place to go and he knows a lot about ds3’s, which is what I need at this stage. I just want my car back now. From what everyone has said and the cars behaviour, it sounds like intake valves to me, but I know nothing about cars, the logic of it makes sense.

Comment

Good luck with getting it fixed and Jamie at SP Tuning is defo the best place in the country to get it sorted out. He is exceptional at sorting out these kind of problems. Northampton to Leicester isn't too bad. Jamie is our go to man for remaps and walnut blasting. He has done many of the forum members DS3's.

Comment

Hi all thanks so much for the comments I already had arrangements to visit my garage this morning, mainly just to chat about next steps and getting the car he very kindly lent me foc while citroen had mine back to him. Anyway, we chatted about stuff everyone here suggested. He popped a camera in (today all foc) and we tried to get a good view of the intake valves, we saw some carbonation ( I took a pic but didn’t come out great) not as bad as the pictures I’ve seen after looking online last night, but there is some there. The plan of action is next weds he and someone else (who is going over especially for my car - I forget where from but we spoke with him on speakerphone while looking at my car) will take it apart and do the manual clean. At a good price. I’m going to do that as it is a lot easier for me. So he will strip it down, get a proper look and go from there. I fully trust that if he thinks I’m better off going to Leicester he will tell me to do that.
                            At least if we can get the car running good with the manual clean, it takes some pressure off me and I can get walnut blasting done with Jamie in the future when I have the time and am in a better financial position (already spent a fortune over last 4 weeks, mainly at main dealers and temp insurance policies on the borrowed car as it turns out fully comp and driving any other car does not count when your car is in a garage - that was a whole other nightmare to sort out! Lol).
                            He did say my car is running better than it was last time he saw it but i don’t know if that is the coil packs Citroen put on the 2nd time they had it or the Bg44k cleaning the engine. I feel like it’s the additive I put in as I’m noticing an improvement in the cars general running since, but still vibrates when not moving and misfires/jolts/chugs on acceleration at about 70mph.
                            I’m hoping there is a light at the end of the tunnel now

Comment

Great news!! Keep us posted on how everything goes

Comment

Working...
                              X