Washer Pump Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer Pump Confused

Took our DS3 for an MOT whilst we had the bad snow a little while ago and it failed because they said the washer pump had burnt out. Replaced the pump and now when we activate the front washer it sometimes sprays out the front other times it will spray out the back. Took the car back into the garage and they have said " we have spoken to citreon and it's a known issue that sometimes when a washer motor burns out it can send a feedback to the control unit and confuses it, so when you activate the washer it gets confused as to where to provide the water ". Has anyone else had this issue ?? I personally think it's bull.

I have checked the pump unit itself and it's brand new.

Let me know your thoughts lol

Hi and welcome to the club. Did you try and replace the fuse first before getting the washer pump changed? Loads of people (including me) have had this issue during the cold snap and it simply needed the washer fuse changing from a 10A to 15A, F3 in the engine bay fuse box. I've never heard of a washer pump getting "confused" before though!!!!
    Last edited by Funky; 23-03-2018, 14:52.
    DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

My fuse also popped, but easy £1 fix.

Sounds like bull to me
      sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
      Third time around.
      Work in Progress

Comment

That sounds like shit. I think they have used a cheap quality part and I bet the original was fine, it was only the fuse that had failed and they only found the fuse had gone after the pump was replaced.

Most washer pumps work by the polarity of the power connected to it. The polarity dictates which way the pump turns. When it turns one way it goes through one valve and if it spins the other it'll go to the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky View Post
          Hi and welcome to the club. Did you try and replace the fuse first before getting the washer pump changed? Loads of people (including me) have had this issue during the cold snap and it simply needed the washer fuse changing from a 10A to 15A, F3 in the engine bay fuse box. I've never heard of a washer pump getting "confused" before though!!!!
          Hi Funky,
          So the motor actually failed when we took it in. The 'mechanic' told me that the wiper blades and the washer bottle shared a fuse and as the wiper blades worked..it must have been the motor. So i was a little confused by this as I have never seen them share a fuse before..but went along with it as I have never had a DS3 before and this 'garage' i took the care to is a national outfit. However I do now know that it does not share a fuse...

Comment

Originally posted by DeeTurbo View Post
            That sounds like shit. I think they have used a cheap quality part and I bet the original was fine, it was only the fuse that had failed and they only found the fuse had gone after the pump was replaced.

Most washer pumps work by the polarity of the power connected to it. The polarity dictates which way the pump turns. When it turns one way it goes through one valve and if it spins the other it'll go to the other.
            Hi DeeTurbo,

Correct! I found all this out after getting the motor replaced by doing some research online. I found it odd that they are claiming that the control unit is confused somehow. When you break it down its two seperate switches. Pull the leaver towards you for the front washers, turn the sleeve on the same arm to activate the rear. I don't see how a 'microchip' confused or not needs to be involved in that circuit ?!

As i have never owned one DS3..i thought i had best ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady2002 View Post
              The 'mechanic' told me that the wiper blades and the washer bottle shared a fuse and as the wiper blades worked..it must have been the motor.
              Utter crap!!! Like DeeTurbo says above - they will've replaced the pump, found that it still doesn't work, Googled it, seen the fix on here and then replaced your fuse and charged you way over the odds for replacing it, which should've cost you about a quid. The wipers will still work when the washers don't as they use different fuses altogether.

They are defo spinning you a line about the washers getting confused too. I'd get it back to get fixed properly. That's IF you can trust them to do it, as I'm not sure I would after your last experience

DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Ady2002 View Post

I don't see how a 'microchip' confused or not needs to be involved in that circuit ?!
                because it is 2018 and not 1950
                Originally posted by cyclone
                It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                Originally posted by Broda
                I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Looking for an efficient solution to inflate your car tires? Check out electric car tyre pumps at smartnewo.com/product-category/electric-car-tyre-pumps/! These versatile pumps operate using electricity for fast and reliable tire inflation. With a range of nozzles and adapters, they can also be used for inflating air mattresses, beach balls, and more.

Comment

Working...
                  X