No announcement yet.

Engine rattle, possible timing chain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine rattle, possible timing chain...

Morning guys

I own a DS3 dstyle + 1.6 vti, I've had the car about 2 weeks and just getting used to it. This morning it was idling just fine and suddenly started to make a rattle, sounded rough when revved... I have read about the timing chain issues but thought it was a common problem on the sport, the 120bhp not so much.

Anyway the engine management light isn't on as of yet and the noise had stopped by the time I got to work (about a 5 minute drive)

Reckon it's the timing chain? Thanks in advance !

Welcome to the Club

Chain and\ or tensioner possibly

Give the engine a minute or two before you pull away, and has it had a recent oil change?

I had a small rattle on my THP all the time I had it. Depends how loud and if it goes away. Appreciate yours is a 120.

If in doubt, get it checked at a main dealer. In fact, park it up at the dealers the night b4, and cold start when one of the Techs is standing next to it
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

I drive the sport thp156 for 6 years now. I have similar noise and warning lamp. it started after i added oil addtive. The mechanic said it changed the car varaiable timing. He had engine clean at oil change periods. Varaiable timing is controled by oil pressure so giving the engine a minut to warm could help, as mentined..

Comment

"All engines, except the THPs, have a cambelt; replace this every 10 years or 112,000 miles (£345). Every DS 3 needs new brake fluid every two years (£49), and coolant after four years or 80,000 miles, then annually or every 16,000 miles; the cost of this is included in the service."

Took this quote from the web, so your engine (and my diesel) are dangerous. Assume they also need a tensioner

​​
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

^ ^ .dont know why it says dangerous, should say cambelt predictive text.
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
          X