Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low speed fan not working on 120 VTI radiator fan

Hi,

It seems my low speed fan on my 120 VTI 2012 doesn't come on, as I read the OBD coolant temp at around 97c, I even got to 102c (I think the high speed is working, but haven't seen it in action,
    just that I never overheat, and the temp drops at around 105c in the OBD sensor reading).

To test the fan, I removed the 2 pin plug from the resistor/relay unit pictured above, and shorted the 2 pins, the fan started, so it is ok
    I tested the resistor/relay unit on another friends car, and his low speed continued to work so this unit seems ok.

So what else can I check?
    Is the ECU only one controlling this? Is the ecu directly wired to the 4 pins?
    Is there another temp sensor but the one on the thermostat housing? If so, which one is reported on the OBD?

And about this relay:
    Is this unit just a relay that connects the resistor in series to the 2 pins? What are the 4 pins?
    Can it short it as well - high speed mode or is that another relay? If so where's the high speed relay?

Thanks ahead,
    Paul.

what does the temperature gauge read?

My fan pretty much never comes on
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

I don't have a temp gauge. Just a warning light (blue led for cold and I it can also light up red for too hot, but then probably other lights will turn on).

I've got the schematic! attached.

It's actually a Citroen C3 vTI 120 1.6 16v... but I understand that under the hood they are the same.

1529 is the unit I pictured in the main post, so it seems to control both speeds via 2 relays,1510 is the radiator fan, 1320 is the ECU, 12A6 is the coolant temp sensor (thermistor) and what I was told is
      thermal switch to control the actuation of the coolant pump.

Credit to GiveMeABreak from https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v...902b849a8a8e16

Comment

Working...
      X