Air filter, fluffy cushion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air filter, fluffy cushion?

Can someone tell me if this fluff is supposed to be attached to the air filter? My car seems to be getting sluggish, it's only just had an oil and fuel filter change so decided to see if the air filter was dirty. I pulled it out and noticed that there is some fluff stuck to it. This is the first time I've ever seen a piece of fluff glued to the top of an air filter and I've changed a LOT of air filters! Was it supposed to be removed before it was fitted to the car or something? I looked at several in Halford, none of them had fluff, looked at some in GSF same again and some at Euro.

The air filter currently on the car is made by Fram

If you Google Citroen ds3 air filter (images) you will see that some of the pics appear to have this fluff.
    DS3 1.6THP 165 Pearlescent Ink. White roof.

Comment

Yep thats normal, although it is very dirty and full of leaves. Give the airbox a good hoover out and why not replace it with a K&N panel filter
      DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

haven't seen the fluff before myself- could be additional filtering

Just seen the paper sections when used the paper filters- like corrigated cardboard
        Should be changed yearly- only bout £7

Performance filters are made of spongy stuff, that needs to be cleaned and oiled yearly, slightly better performance from them

sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

This is something totally new for me. would anyone explain this filter thing for me in an easy way? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by darren parker View Post
            This is something totally new for me. would anyone explain this filter thing for me in an easy way? Thank you
            Air is sucked into the engine to help make it go.... to make the car move

The air that is sucked in, may have bits of dust, dead insects, and all sorts- so this is the filter the air goes through, before it goes into the engine

Cotton wool, sponge, or paper elements to catch the dirt ? That help?

(Needs changing yearly, or cleaned)
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Basically the white sponge catches the lager pieces of debris and the yellow paper element catches the smaller pieces.

It's a two stage filter and the better type to get.

Comment

Working...
              X