No announcement yet.

Risk of Particle Filter Clogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right so I'm clear as to what a regen is. It's the exhaust getting really hot and burning all the sh*t out.

But my next question is, aside from ragging the hell out of it for ages, how do you know its doing a regen, as people have said that they've gotten home and it's still doing one?

Comment

Originally posted by gatesy0093 View Post
      Right so I'm clear as to what a regen is. It's the exhaust getting really hot and burning all the sh*t out.

But my next question is, aside from ragging the hell out of it for ages, how do you know its doing a regen, as people have said that they've gotten home and it's still doing one?
      What generally gives it away is when your engine temp is perfectly fine but it sounds like a turbine is going in the engine bay haha, just the radiator fans go full whack, I'm unsure why though

Comment

Dpf

Originally posted by Grantandrew2014 View Post
        What generally gives it away is when your engine temp is perfectly fine but it sounds like a turbine is going in the engine bay haha, just the radiator fans go full whack, I'm unsure why though
        The fan will be running to cool the engine/dpf while it regenerates, exhaust will smell hotter than usual, and the engine will not stop as it would usually with the stop start in operation.

Comment

Also you will sometimes see grey smoke coming from the exhaust which is the particles being burnt off.
          ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
          Bigfeet's File Repository
          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Oh, I've never seen the smoke on any of my regens, went to Southport and back over the weekend so am hoping that I had at least one regen during the 520 miles there and back !
            sigpic

Comment

back to my original issues, I tried everything over the years (I've had a few 110HDi engines) I do long motorway miles 500-1000 miles a week with a good mix of cruise and thrash around the country roads.

I'm on my 3rd DS3 Dsport HDi, the first two worked ok until 20K miles and then started the particle filter clogging. Both went to the dealers a lot and both had the DPF’s changed as well as injectors, etc, etc. I did stints of only running shell/BP/Texaco with no improvement. The only thing that ever cleared it for 4-5K was the 3 stop/start cycles that reset that issue.

The only side effect to this is the judder and harsh deceleration when you take your foot off the accelerator in 2nd gear.

I actually walked away from both at 60K miles trading for another one.

Currently on a 63 plate e-HDI Dsport and it’s at 25K and dingers crossed it’s behaving itself – so far…

Comment

Hi folks

Just been reading this thread with interest as "Her Most Expensiveness" has returned home with the engine management light on and I suspect a DPF blockage. How is the clean up cycle inititiated? Do I just take the shitroen for a thrash for an hour and that'll sort it?

Comment

Originally posted by boisty View Post
                  Do I just take the shitroen for a thrash for an hour and that'll sort it?
                  Pretty much this. It's also possible to force a regeneration using a Lexia if I recall correctly but you'd need to get it into the dealers for that.
                  cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

if it's the same issues I have had then it was unclearable - I think it needed new ecu firmware personally.

On my third DS3 dsport hdi - this one so far hasn't had the issue at 52k miles. I think the 116eHdi finally fixes the issue.

Comment

Morning,

We've had the service and engine management light come on two days ago along with the 'risk of filter clogging' message.

At the same time the fan has started running and continues to do so for around 5 minutes after the car is switched off. Strangely I cannot exceed around 3,500 rpm either.

I went a good 40-50 minute drive on the M1 yesterday evening and kept in a lower gear to try to keep the revs as high as I could, although I cannot thrash it due to the rev restrictions.

Has anyone had these other symptoms with a forced regen?

Could it be the additive level low, as that is what it advises in the handbook.

My partner only does short journeys, so that could obviously be a contributing factor.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comment

As a quick fix i used a dpf cleaner; you spray it into the dpf by removing the sensor at the top of the system.
                        http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/ca...97380&&cc5_104
                        you spray it in; re-attach the sensor to seal the exhaust again; idle the car for 15 mins, then go for a drive. it streams up so expect some steam from the exhaust. its not a permanent fix, but does help.

Comment

A new aftermarket filter is not expensive, also only 20 min job to swap over
                          White on red THP
                          Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Before you tried the spray treatment, was yours in limp mode?

Where is the DPF located to apply the spray treatment?

Cheers

Comment

Jamie,

When you say a new aftermarket filter.. is that for inside the DPF itself?

Thanks

Comment

where you spray it:
                                ipen the bonnet, look along the exhaust, to the left of the turbo there is a sensor installed on a 90 degree bend; i removed this sensor and sprayed in here.

My car flashed the riak of bloackage fault while on the notorway around 70mph; was doing poor in fuel. cannot remember if it was actaully in a limo mode or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X