Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermostat or temperature sensor? Difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat or temperature sensor? Difference?

Hi everyone, I know this seems like a common issue on the DS3's but I can't find a definitive answer to the problem I'm experiencing with my little car.

It's the 1.6 petrol 120bhp model; the temperature needle on the dash has stopped reaching the center / 6 o'clock position, so we tried the turning the heater up in the car and that's also not getting as hot as it should be, so it seems to me that the issue is most likely with the engines thermostat.

However, all I can find on here is talk about the temperature sensor / wiring loom and harness AND the thermostat in the same sentence.

In terms of fixing the issue, what am I asking the garage to do? replace the thermostat or the temperature sensor / wiring loom and harness?

What's the difference? Are they all part of the same one unit?

Just to add, it's a 63 plate, so out of manufacture warranty.

Comment

I take it you have plenty of liquid in the cooling system? An air lock can cause the heater to run cool. The thermostat if faulty, will certainly delay the engine getting to working temperature, but I'd have thought at this time of year, i.e still quite warm, a long run would allow things to warm up. If the thermostat is faulty, then you have to replace whole housing https://gloveboxdirect.com/9807198480/p0/. Not cheap.

Comment

With regard to the https://gloveboxdirect.com/9807198480/p0/ ignore their description of 1.2 PureTech. The Citroen part number is 98 071 984 80

Comment

Hi DavidDS3, thanks for getting back to me.I checked the coolant and it looks tip top, it has been for a service but would you think it could be anything that may have been done at the garage to cause this? I wouldn't have thought they'd need to touch the coolant? It only went in for a minor service, maybe just a coincidence.

That part price could be worse, I've been reading reports of people paying £400+ for this to be remedied. Is this something that can be done on the driveway or better left to a mechanic?

Comment

I think the only thing they might do as part of a service is to check the pH. With regard to fitting a new housing, if you can pm me an email address, I can send you the fitting instructions as a pdf file. You can then judge if it is a feasible task for yourself. I can't post the fitting instructions on the forum as the file is too large.

Comment

sounds like thermostat to me, common problem

Have you had a code reader plugged in via the OBD port (panel underneath glove box) or call RAC/AA to plug in their code reader to check what the fault code is
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Hi everyone, I know it's an old post but just to update, finally got the part replaced yesterday. It was the Temperature Coolant Sensor. The mechanic went to remove the sensor, one end connects to the ECU / electronics but the goes in to a large unit that it cannot be removed from; this is the housing unit. You then obviously have to replace the whole housing unit for the sake of the temperature sensor. Thankfully the new replacement unit is better in terms of them now being separate units. Got it supplied and fitted for £180. I've been reading reports of people paying or expecting to between £300-£400? Just an FYI really. Drove it home and it was faultless, needle stayed in the middle where it should be, heating was a little hotter than it has been too so it was working back to normal. Happy days.

Comment

Working...
                X