Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT Fail - Emissions

Hi,

As always, first post here is because I have a problem.

I have a 1.6 THP 155 (Jan 2011) and it failed the MOT on, amongst a couple of other issues, the emissions. Very high CO and low Lambda.
    I have serviced it (oil, filter, air filter, and spark plugs) and it has had a carbon clean (the high pressure Hydrogen into the intake; loads of crap came out). All this lead to the CO coming right down, and the Lambda going up (in one test the Lambda actually got to a passing value, just).

Last year it went through the MOT no problem.

I do not have access to a fault code reader currently and assume with modern stuff there is a cheat way of getting fault codes (I had an 1992 MR2 that you could use a paper clip in 2 of the diagnostic port holes and the EM light would flash the codes). It is getting a diagnostic check late next week, but thought I'd try and get a head start if I can.

Given the high CO %age and low Lambda I would guess it's running slightly rich. The chap in the MOT station said you could smell it, but I can't, although my sense of smell isn't that good, so maybe I just can't. I've also seen some discolouring of the plugs.
    I've seen a couple of mentions of the O2 or lambda sensors here potentially being an issue. I'm sure I've seen mention of 2. Are they the same and just measuring the O2 in different places (pre and post turbo maybe?) and where are they? I can't find any decent diagrams of the engine so I can see where they are.

Don't shoot me, but the original MOT was at Mr Clutch as I did not think there would be any issues. It is now going to a local mechanic who I trust to look at, but he's booked up until next week.

Right now, I can't afford the trip to Leicester to get the walnut blasting done.

Any help appreciated as I'm skint and really need to get my car back on the road.

u tried the normal additives route?

injector and cat cleaners

have a look at cataclean- risk £12 and give it a go

sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Without the codes everything is just guesswork

I've had two well-known issues which threw up a problem. Faulty HPFP (expensive), and a downstream Lambda sensor (at the bottom of the cat, not so expensive)
      Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

Thanks for the help peeps.

I forgot to add, mostly because I completely forgot, I had, briefly, an EM light on and the screen said "Anti Pollution System Failure". This came on not long after a test fail on the short drive home, but went off again after the service.

The first thing that happens will be a diagnostic test, and I'm expecting a sensor to be knackered.

is the downstream lambda sensor easy to get to and change?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
          u tried the normal additives route?

injector and cat cleaners

have a look at cataclean- risk £12 and give it a go
          Tried all that - that was the very first thing the garage (Mr Clutch) suggested. Done it twice and it didn't do much to be honest.

My mechanic, on speaking to him, was straight on the low Oxygen/lambda issue and considered it running rich due to an air leak or faulty sensor.

Comment

Well. using additives sometimes takes a little time to dissolve and wear away all the crud, so it wont do any harm.

Yes, next stop is the sensors. Ive got a diesel and the DPF sensor went giving me expensive clogging issues

Cant recall how many sensors in the exhaust of the petrol but check them, and crank sensor for good measure

Could have a good look at the injectors, maybe get them out and have a look
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
            X