Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.6 Vti Strange oil burning problem

Hi all
    I'm new to the site and would like your help. My other half has a 62 plate 1.6 vti. with 62k on it. 2 weeks ago we did a complete service and changed the rocker cover gasket. a few days later i was driving it and all of a sudden it started missing and pouring smoke out the exhaust. Pulled over and restarted it. Missing gone and smoke got much better. I took it home and left it till the next morning.

Started it the next morning and nothing. Very very slight blue smoke at start up but car running better than ever. Took it for a drive and what i found is the problem seems to start if you take a left hand bend fast but only when the engine is hot.

I took it for another drive and this time didn't take any bends to fast. What i found this time was if you take the car for a run it will start smoking and missing when its hot if you then pull over and let it idle for 10 ish mins and rev the engine it will throw out the biggest amount of whitish smoke I've ever seen.

The strange thing is that if you switch the car off for a few mins and restart it the smoke is all but gone until you repeat the cycle.

Things we have checked so far.

Dropped oil to make sure it wasn't over filled - It was fine
    Compression test - All cylinders are around 150 psi
    Head gasket sniffer test - Completely fine
    Changed injector 2 as we did have code for misfire on cylinder 2 but not come back since.
    All setting in the ECU cleared and VVTI relearn completed

One thing of interest was that when we took the top off the PCV there was a lump of crumbly plastic stuck in the membrane. Membrane was intact. Looking under the membrane there was a hole on the one side of the plastic rocker cover and you could see oil in what looked like a chamber below.

Anyone got any pics of what it looks like under the membrane so that i can compare???

I'm almost convinced that the problem is the car sucking in oil though the pcv. has anyone heard of this before. Like i said the car will run perfectly then all of sudden start doing this. Only way to check would be to buy a complete new rocker cover but I don't want to throw the past cannon at it without some guidance as a new rocker cover is 200+

Thanks for your help

Working...
X