Problems engaging 1st gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems engaging 1st gear

Ive had my 1.6 Dstyle for a couple of months now but within the last few weeks Ive been getting sporadic problems with getting into 1st gear from neutral. Feels like there's resistance to the gear stick which varies with no regularity but seems to be worse if the car is cold or hasnt been driven for a couple of days. Sometimes its not a problem at all!. Going into 2nd gear then straight into first seems to work or sometimes just pushing against the resistance although when I do that it feels like something is grinding. Ive booked the car into the dealer to check over but has anyone else had this problem??? Any ideas what it might be? Am hoping the warranty will cover it...

Similar problem was reported by a few guys when putting it in reverse. If you pump the clutch does it slide straight in?
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

I've been having a few problems with mine selecting reverse and third. Booked in next wed, though im sure they'll say its fine!

Comment

Yeh have got it booked inn for tues next week.. Will let you know what they say. Have also tried pumping the clutch but doesn't seem to make any difference

Comment

Can i suggest that you go for a drive in your DS3 with a tech and show him exactly whats happening, that way the workshop with have a better idea of the problem. It's always better to show rather then explain. Fingers crossed you get it sorted out mate
          ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
          Bigfeet's File Repository
          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I have a very similar problem selecting 3rd and reverse, on top of other seemingly gearbox related problems, such as ridiculously loud knocking and poor pick-up when changing gear.
            Wouldn't be surprised if the dealer tells you it's a 'characteristic' of the car.

Comment

I have the same problem. My old 206 did this as well as it didnt have syncro on 1st and rev. same with this one i guess? thats why if you let the clutch out slightly before biting point it moves right in (or when the car is moving slightly)

Comment

Servicing at the dealership just called and apparently there's nothing wrong with the oil, cables or anything else associated with the gears that they can see. They also said they drove the car out for a bit but never experienced the problems Ive been having...which means they havent stripped the gears down fully. They are however sending an email to Citroen with the readings etc and they may reply with details of a possible problem. They suggested that I leave it overnight so they can check it when the car is cold..might be worth it?

Comment

Just to answer my own question...there's definitely a problem so am leaving it overnight at their suggestion so they can check it again. From what Ive been reading it could be the synchros...will update tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by ricostuart View Post
                    My old 206 did this as well as it didnt have syncro on 1st and rev. same with this one i guess?
                    Your 206 had syncro on 1st - no cars with non-syncro first gear have been built in the last 40 years or so!

Comment

Update: servicing at the dealership could find nothing wrong with the gears. They never even experienced the problem ive been having despite keeping the car overnight and trying it cold and driving it out several times. Strangely, sice ive had the car back I havent had a problem getting into 1st gear... Conspiracy theories anyone?!

Comment

They removed something that should've been removed prior to delivery but aren't going to admit to it?

I can't think what, but it's a theory.
                        1.6 Vti White edition

Comment

as long as its sorted now and has done no damage to gear box.Enjoyi

Comment

Well...its not sorted after all. Day after I had a couple of 'sticky' moments...If I EVER get them to acknowledge the problem will let you guys know!

Comment

Did you take a drive and show them the problem? That way they can see for themselves whats happening.
                              ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                              Bigfeet's File Repository
                              The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Working...
                              X