Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.6 THP (156) Very long crank when warm/up to temp after new timing

Hi everyone,

Bit of an odd once this and seems to have stumped the garage too.

Basically before xmas, pulling out of a junction car (2011 1.6 THP) lost all power and completely died on me and wouldn't restart. Has been to the garage, had new timing, head skim, spark plugs etc and now starts and runs well (a lot better news than before!). In the last year or so the cars had new coils, new HPFP, new camsahft and crankshaft sensor and VVT so I think we can rule them out.

Anyway problem is car when cold (left overnight lets say) car cranks fine and runs fine but once it's up to operating temp and the engine is turned off the engine takes a while 5-10 seconds or longer to turn back on and we can't seem to work out why. The garage so far has swapped the VVT out for a genuine citroen one, had an ECU software up date and they checked the flywheel reluctor wheel and straightened a couple of the teeth which helped with the running of it but doesn't stop the long crank when up to temp.

If anyones come across this before or has any ideas of potential causes that'd be amazing thanks, car isn't flagging any codes when it's doing this btw.

Cheers guys
    T

Hi french-mobile ,

Have you checked your fuel injectors, there could be a leak somewhere or some of the injectors are dirty. This could possibly be causing the problem you are experiencing when the car has been running for a while and then trying to restart it.

Cheers,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by DS3-NL View Post
      Hi french-mobile ,

Have you checked your fuel injectors, there could be a leak somewhere or some of the injectors are dirty. This could possibly be causing the problem you are experiencing when the car has been running for a while and then trying to restart it.

Cheers,

Mike
      Cheers Mike

Funny enough I was thinking this too given that (as far as I'm aware) the injectors are probably as old as the car (about 11 years old now) but I'd think if injectors were playing up a drop in mpg and power would be playing a part and there could be case of rough idle and some lean or rich running conditions that might hint to it.

Unfortunately, since I don't have the car to hand I can't check it myself but whilst I like to consider myself handy with a car I probably don't have the level of expertise as a garage so I'd like to have hoped something like that was picked up on.

Unfortunately, I think it's one of those things you have to just run through over a course of time and replace items from cheapest to most expensive till its solved.

I don't think it would be the timing since thats been changed just now, plugs and coils all should be under 5K miles and probably would be throwing error codes if they were the problem and HPFP was replaced as year ago so that should be fine (again don't have the car on me so can't check pressure on start up). I've also heard it might be crankshaft and camshaft sensors but I replaced the crankshaft before it went into the garage so that should be fine and I think the garage replaced the camshaft one.

It could be something as stupid as the crankshaft sensor not being seated quite properly so giving a funny reading on hot start up but this whole thing has been a bit of a pickle.

It was a bit of a long shot but I was semi hoping there might be some quirk with the 1.6 THP engine that somebody might be like 'oh I had that, all it is that you need to replace X part.

I think I'll get back to the garage Monday see what they've checked out of the above and hopefully we can get the ol' girl starting when hot again!

If I or the garage work it out I'll let you guys know

Cheers
      T

Comment

Working...
      X