Wheel Hop on full acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Hop on full acceleration

Is it just me, or does anyone else get violent wheel hop from their cars on full acceleration in first gear? The wheels just used to spin before, but now I seem to be getting wheel hop, just wondering what the solution could be :S.
    DS3 DSport 150 THP

+1 on this

Comment

Isnt this the ESP kicking in which u think is the hopping?
      BLACK DS3 Sport Chic 150THP | Forge Induction Kit | Skytune Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Raain View Post
        Isnt this the ESP kicking in which u think is the hopping?
        When the esp kicks in, its more of a braking effect, the whole car physically judders and it's just so unpleasant
        DS3 DSport 150 THP

Comment

It sound exatly like the esp is kicking in, have you tried disabling it.. ? Or else at could be a axle but that seems impossible already
          Skilled Citroen Mechanic

Have diagnostic Lexia/Diagbox Tool

Comment

Same results with the ESP off
            DS3 DSport 150 THP

Comment

Originally posted by pat40 View Post
              Is it just me, or does anyone else get violent wheel hop from their cars on full acceleration in first gear? The wheels just used to spin before, but now I seem to be getting wheel hop, just wondering what the solution could be :S.
              I'd guess you're simply on the limit of grip v power. Tyres nor engine are winning. My Golf GTI used to do the same. Just not enough power to break the traction but too much grip to start spinning. Bet if you just ease off a teeny fraction your tyres would hook up and the engine will bog down a tad.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Bd1970 View Post
                I'd guess you're simply on the limit of grip v power. Tyres nor engine are winning. My Golf GTI used to do the same. Just not enough power to break the traction but too much grip to start spinning. Bet if you just ease off a teeny fraction your tyres would hook up and the engine will bog down a tad.

Dave.
                This, either lighten up on the throttle or get some stickier tyres/road.

ESP off is also going to be an advantage if you're looking for a quick jet away from the line.
                cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

I know it might sound like a silly question but why would you want to do this..........Are you trying to impress the Chav birds at Tesco's car park with all the other
                  boy racers
                  E HDI 90 White black roof....called free willy.....Because it looks like a Killer Whale .... Now gone to a better place march 2012 to March 2014
                  Dstyle+ E Hdi 90 Sport Red Black roof .......The Red Barron ....

Comment

I should clarify, when launching from a standstill, the wheels used to spin when I reached the grip limit, now all i get is wheel hop! Also, there's no point in having a car with 150 bhp if your not going to occasionally put them to some use lol!

Turning off the ESP does seem to help to a certein extent, its all about finessing the lead foot!
                    DS3 DSport 150 THP

Comment

Originally posted by Tony DS3 View Post
                      I know it might sound like a silly question but why would you want to do this..........Are you trying to impress the Chav birds at Tesco's car park with all the other
                      boy racers
                      Yes..
                      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

have "a google" and read about "axle tramp". it's a pandemic!

Dave.

Comment

I should clarify, when launching from a standstill, the wheels used to spin when I reached the grip limit, now all i get is wheel hop! Also, there's no point in having a car with 150 bhp if your not going to occasionally put them to some use lol!

Turning off the ESP does seem to help to a certein extent, its all about finessing the lead foot!
                          How about a big elastic band tied round your neck to your foot? If you press the accelerator tii hard you get to see what your steering wheel tastes like xD
                          cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Not sure about our cars but in my golf V aftermarket urethane motor and gearbox mounts got this under control.
                            Originally posted by cyclone
                            It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                            Originally posted by Broda
                            I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

First gear is really only to get the car moving, ideally you change change out of first as soon as possible in order to get onto the smoother torque curve. Sounds like you are pushing the car to hard in first and it's dumping its torque all over the place, and another trick to try is using clutch slip to control the traction before sliding into second as soon as you can.

The wheel hop could also be the gearbox screaming in mercy as you bounce off the red line.
                              Last edited by Bigfeet; 26-04-2012, 08:01.
                              ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                              Bigfeet's File Repository
                              The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Working...
                              X