Short whine on start up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short whine on start up.

Does this happen when all THP engined cars are started? Theres a Mini that lives near us, and that does it also.:confused:

Yes, I get that.

It's usually from one of my passengers.

Don't drive so fast!

Where's that rattle coming from?

Are we there yet?

etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by Holski View Post
      Does this happen when all THP engined cars are started? Theres a Mini that lives near us, and that does it also.:confused:
      It's perfectly normal, it's the on demand oil pump priming itself, at first start.
      Performance Powered By Thought
      Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by gar074 View Post
        Yes, I get that.

It's usually from one of my passengers.

Don't drive so fast!

Where's that rattle coming from?

Are we there yet?

etc etc
        Lol! Thanks guys

Comment

Hi , I think the whine is actually a air pump that blows air into the exhaust manifold on cold start up to dilute the extra emissions that are generated with the choke on. I have had 3 x BMW before and they have all made the same noise before. It will only last for about a minute and only when you start the car and the engine is cold. It is one way they get around emission standards, and not having to added even more emission crap on the cars. I had a 2002 E65 7 series BMW before this and the pump needed to be replaced and was $1200 in Australia. So not a cheap idea however it was BMW. Since this engine was developed by them aswell I take it they have the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Skittso11 View Post
            Hi , I think the whine is actually a air pump that blows air into the exhaust manifold on cold start up to dilute the extra emissions that are generated with the choke on. I have had 3 x BMW before and they have all made the same noise before. It will only last for about a minute and only when you start the car and the engine is cold. It is one way they get around emission standards, and not having to added even more emission crap on the cars. I had a 2002 E65 7 series BMW before this and the pump needed to be replaced and was $1200 in Australia. So not a cheap idea however it was BMW. Since this engine was developed by them aswell I take it they have the same.
            Sorry to inform you, but your thought ^^^ is wrong, it is actually what I have already mentioned, read quote below.

Originally posted by Czar View Post
            It's perfectly normal, it's the on demand oil pump priming itself, at first start.
            Performance Powered By Thought
            Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Working...
            X