Crunch noise from gears!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crunch noise from gears!

Hi, i'm a new DS3 owner i have noticed when i am slowing up at a junction and just as i change into first as im stopping the gears crunch!! im not going fast its just as im rolling to a stop. is this a common fault or is it me?? lol any feedback would be good, thanks

Are you depressing your clutch when changing gears?
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Why are you changing gears prior to stopping?

Unless you're slowing for a corner, surely you should just depress your clutch when your coming to a stop - keep the car in whatever gear it's in and then when you're stationary, clutch in gear into neutral (or 1st if you want to get off quickly) - left hand to turn ECO Stop & Start off, ESP OFF, 2k revs with handbreak up and weeeeeeee

There's really no need to change gears to stop, unless you're moving with traffic :S

Comment

If your trying to move into to first while rolling you will crunch the gearbox as your forcing the cogs into place when they are spinning too fast. Try staying in second until you are stopped before engaging first gear.
        ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
        Bigfeet's File Repository
        The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

You should have mechanical sympathy and avoid changing into first gear when the car is still moving.

First gear should really only be used when pulling away from a complete stop.

It should not be unusual for a car to crunch into first gear if the car is moving.

Comment

Then don't do that, wait till your stopped to put it in 1st
            Originally posted by cyclone
            It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
            Originally posted by Broda
            I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

It's a synchro first gear so no, it shouldn't crunch at slow rolling speeds. But changing in to first while still moving isn't a very good habit to have and puts unneccessary strain on the gearbox. If you tried that in an old car the gears would jump out and slap you

Comment

I had to force myself NOT to say anything against women drivers. :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by TangSooMum View Post
                  i have noticed when i am slowing up at a junction and just as i change into first as im stopping the gears crunch!!
                  That Poor Poor Car, If It's A Habit You've Got Then Put It Into 2nd Instead, Should Be A Much Smoother Shift Down

Comment

Thanks everyone for you replies and making me sound like a bad driver!!! lol

Obviously you have to put it in first to pull away at a junction, when i change to get ready to go i am basically stopped! its not like im travelling at 30mph and trying to force it into 1st gear!! and yes i do depress the clutch until it hits the floor!! i have owned 14 cars so far in my driving lifetime and i have never experienced this before which is why i found it odd. today i was completely stationary and it wouldn't go into first gear at all. i had to take it out of gear, depress the clutch again and put it back in gear! do you think this is a clutch problem, or still a 'women' driver problem??

Comment

Originally posted by TangSooMum View Post
                      Thanks everyone for you replies and making me sound like a bad driver!!! lol

Obviously you have to put it in first to pull away at a junction, when i change to get ready to go i am basically stopped! its not like im travelling at 30mph and trying to force it into 1st gear!! and yes i do depress the clutch until it hits the floor!! i have owned 14 cars so far in my driving lifetime and i have never experienced this before which is why i found it odd. today i was completely stationary and it wouldn't go into first gear at all. i had to take it out of gear, depress the clutch again and put it back in gear! do you think this is a clutch problem, or still a 'women' driver problem??
                      I had this problem, took it to the dealers, and they said that they put some gearbox oil in or something to lubricate the gears. Seems to have solved the problem. Before that, I was struggling to put the car into first when stationary on most occasions.
                      DS3 DSport 150 THP

Comment

Originally posted by pat40 View Post
                        I had this problem, took it to the dealers, and they said that they put some gearbox oil in or something to lubricate the gears. Seems to have solved the problem. Before that, I was struggling to put the car into first when stationary on most occasions.
                        Thank you, does that mean its not my driving then???

having a trip to the dealers tomorrow so i will ask them then

Comment

Might not be!
                          DS3 DSport 150 THP

Comment

Mine Fights me if I try to put it into first while moving so I give it the neutral treatment these days....

Comment

UPDATE
                              Hi all. I took it to my local dealer who has booked it in to have the gear alignment checked, so hopefully that will sort it!
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X