Friction Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friction Wheel

Can some one please tell me what a friction wheel is and is it a big job to change.

imagine there talking about your crankshaft or an accessory pulley.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Friction wheel, is that not what trains have?
      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
      Bigfeet's File Repository
      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Only thing I can think of a friction wheel being used for is regenerative brakes where they can charge the battery on hybrids from the brakes...can't think of anything else but in technical terms your disk brake is a friction wheel in that the pads apply friction to it thus stopping your car.
        http://db.tt/tJZ0ZQG1
        Black on Black DSports+ THP 155 16v Custom Remap to 193BHP; 230lb/ft

Comment

Originally posted by chiefnerd View Post
          Only thing I can think of a friction wheel being used for is regenerative brakes where they can charge the battery on hybrids from the brakes
          My understanding is that it doesn't work like that. The elect motor that would drive the wheels is used as a generator that uses the motion from wheels to drive it there by acting as a braking force on the car.

Comment

There's 2 types- 1 works like an alternator the other converts heat

Comment

Hmm. Hows that work?

Comment

God knows- relatively old system though, they've used scaled up versions to convert heat from big diesel alternators like that for a long time but that uses a weird expansion chamber- I imagine a similar system is in place on the hybrids with a fluid expanding and an impellor and expansion chamber- no idea what fluids are involved though

Comment

ok. neat idea.

Comment

Clever sods these days...I love the magnetic fluid suspension- awesome concept. Then you have the stuff like the F1 designer behind the McClaren now designing a city car with in excess of 100MPG from 1l and also totally green from the manufacturing up- weird thing- 1 seat up front, 2 behind but smaller and thinner than Smart

Where in Saudi you based? I hate that dump but the Sid used to make it bearable on business trips from Dubai

Comment

Based in Riyadh, Ha Ha, Sid guaranteed hangover!

Looking around the net seems cars using mostly motor/generator or flywheel kinetic energy storage concepts.

Comment

There's a mix of them, I don't really know what's gained popularity (just like the technologies) but kinetic is alot easier to manufacturer than friction. Maybe the friction wheel he's on about might just mean the brake disc- that's all one is afterall

Comment

Too true, wish people would just call stuff what it is instead of trying to sound intelligent.

Comment

Damn right- I own a company that works on the internet (SEO) and you should hear some of the garbage that's floats around being used to try and confuse people. We get tons of clients because we don't use geek speak- we just tell them as it is without any BS

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                              Too true, wish people would just call stuff what it is instead of trying to sound intelligent.
                              ^ Nothing wrong with that!

I quite enjoy referring to my pencil as a High-Altitude-Writing-Stick!
                              ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                              Bigfeet's File Repository
                              The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Working...
                              X