Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brodit Fixed Installation...

Hi all

I thought I'd post a new thread in here as it's a more technical question...

As mentioned previously, I'm intending on getting a Brodit Fixed Installation cradle for my HTC Sensation in my DS3...
    So now I need to work out the best way of getting it wired in... Currently am looking to use the A-pillar mount, so the cable would run down the right side of dash, and in behind the steering wheel I guess...

To quote the Brodit install documentation:
    The charger unit is fused internally with 2 A automotive re-settable thermal fuse, but if an external fuse is to be installed then connect a 2 A fuse holder and fuse inline with the Red wire close to the power source.
    Route the cable from the holder into the vehicle dashboard and secure the charger unit in place with the adhesive tape provided.
    Ensure the charger unit is securely mounted behind the dashboard in a well ventilated area that does not get hot! Note: If you are connecting a GPS/Data device to the holder please ensure the charger unit is located in a position within easy reach of any GPS or charging adapters.
    Route the power cable from the charger unit to the power supply source in the vehicle and connect as follows:
    1. Connect the White wire to a Negative Ground connection of the vehicle or the vehicle chassis.
    2. Connect the Red wire to a 12/24 Volt power supply in the vehicle that is controlled by the ignition switch of the vehicle.
    My current questions:
    1. Where can I pick up a 12/24V Ignition switched feed?
    2. Where can I pick up a Negative ground feed?
    3. If this is wired into an existing wiring loom, will CUK throw a hissy fit on the Warranty?
    4. What would the best way be to splice the cables in? Any precautions I need to take? - Did ask a couple of local installers, and they're quoting £50+... Thinking I can easily do it myself for a lot less than that...

Any comments welcome...

Cheers
    Gavin

I have a splitter under my seat, phone from there, under mat, into the right hand dash re ess and out the top then tucked into the seal and then out to the brodit mount- basically invisible

When it's properly tucked away you can't see the cable from the mat- that image is just to show where it goes.

No disassembly required!
    Attached Files
    http://db.tt/tJZ0ZQG1
    Black on Black DSports+ THP 155 16v Custom Remap to 193BHP; 230lb/ft

Comment

I have done this in my ds3. Ignition live is found in the fuse box, ground it under any metal screw or bolt. The cable can go under the dash no problem, through the back of the radio space to the underside of the glove box. I have special fuses that swap with the original one with a 12v feed extra, no wires cut. No warranty problem.

Comment

Chief,

Cheers for the pics... Was hoping to avoid using the existing socket, for no other reason than to keep it cable free, but cheers for the pics... Something to consider...

Pete,

Cheers for the info... Sounds perfect... Any ideas where I could get a couple of those fuses?

Cheers
        Gavin

Comment

Pete

Is this the sort of thing ure on about http://www.crowbarelectricalparts.co...-fuse-circuit/

Cheers
          Gav

Comment

eBay link as well: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...d=170709632237

Gav

Comment

Sorry to bring this one back, but thought probably best to keep all info in one thread :-)

Have just ordered Brodit ProClip and Fixed install mount. Now just need to wait for it to be delivered and wired in.

As per my previous posts, I think I'm going to go the piggyback fuse route...
              The next questions I've got are:
              1) what fuse types does the DS3 use?
              2) what would be a suitable fuse to piggy back off? Brodit mount wants a 12v 5a feed...

Cheers again.

Gav

Comment

pop open the fusecover in the glovebox and see what slots are free, you can also pop out a fuse while you're at halfords and take it in and pick up a suitable one.

Comment

Originally posted by chiefnerd View Post
                  pop open the fusecover in the glovebox and see what slots are free, you can also pop out a fuse while you're at halfords and take it in and pick up a suitable one.
                  Chief

Looks like I missed this reply... Are you saying that the other fuse slots are all 'wired'? How can I connect into them with the Brodit mount, if that's the case?

Managed to look at the Owners handbook, and whilst it doesn't specify a fuse type, they look like Mini fuses in the glovebox fuse box... And looks like F9 is a good contender to be backed off, as its a 30A feed for the 12V socket...
                  Shame I haven't got any spare fuses though - must've missed that on the PDI

Comment

Nope, when I checked there was empty slots but double check your fuse sizes.

Comment

There are places that will fit it for you but they do cost around £50, they will come to you home/workplace and do the required work to route the cable/s and wired it into the car's electrical system.
                      http://www.drivesafeandlegal.co.uk/s...ng+Service.htm

Comment

Originally posted by pmk View Post
                        There are places that will fit it for you but they do cost around £50, they will come to you home/workplace and do the required work to route the cable/s and wired it into the car's electrical system.
                        http://www.drivesafeandlegal.co.uk/s...ng+Service.htm
                        Yeh, had a couple of similar quotes from a couple of local companies... Have the Brodit mount now, so just need to source a suitable Piggy Back fuse holder, and should be able to get it done myself...
                        And hopefully all in time for WRC on Friday

Gav

Comment

Cool, got my 'Add a circuit' fuse in today... So got all the bits I need, I think...

Next challenge - where to find a ground point near/in the fusebox

Comment

Pic of the piggy back fuse, for anyone who's interested... Will try and get some pics when installed aswell

Cheers
                            Gav
                            Attached Files

Comment

Make sure you fit it the right way in the fuse box otherwise you may end up being unfused.

Comment

Working...
                              X