Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protection against reverse when driving forward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protection against reverse when driving forward?

As I'm thinking about buying a DS3 HDi-90, I've been out test-driving it, and I really love the car.

But as I am used to 6 gears, and the DS3 HDi-90 only has 5 gears, I twice got the car put into reverse, when driving on the highway (!!) but luckily I didn't released the clutch either time.

Can it really be true, that there ain't any block or protection against putting into reverse when driving forward? And what will happen if I release the clutch in reverse at highway-speed?

Might must have been really forcing the gearstick, there is a release system in the gearbox to stop you going from fifth to reverse when you are driving.
    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

It was really easy to put into reverse - just as easy as putting my Octavia in 6th gear.
      Maybee the test car had a mechanical fault? If you say that there should be some kind of protection, I think I will go try another DS3.

Comment

Don't you have to lift a collar on the gear stick to get into reverse
        e-HDi 110 DSport Plus Perla Nera Black Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by ICF View Post
          Don't you have to lift a collar on the gear stick to get into reverse
          That's only on the 6 speed gearbox fitted to the DSports & Racing.
          DS3 Racing, also available in White!!!

Comment

No, in the HDi-90 I tried, there was no collar to lift or anything else to protect against reverse. The only think that helped me notice that I was in reverse and saved me from releasing the clutch, was a beep from the parking sensor system.

Anyone with a HDi-90 that can confirm if there should be a mechanical blocking to protect the driver from accidentally putting into reverse?

Comment

Hi, I've had a 60 plate DS3 black&white HDi 90 for about a month now which by the way I am totally loving!
              I am used to driving a Renault with a 6 speed gearbox and must admit when I first started driving the DS3 did try going from 5th to reverse a couple of times by mistake but seem to have got out of the habit now so it must be possible!

merrylees, DS3 b&w White HDI 90 60 plate

Comment

Well I have just sat in two DS3's and five different Citroen's in the showroom and I found it impossible to engage reverse from fifth, even with applying a lot of force I could not get it to work. When moving the gear stick back from fifth the shifter stopped sliding back at the neutral point, only when I double dipped the clutch would it carry on back.

I would suggest if possible to try another DS3 and see if you can pull off the same trick.

Comment

Originally posted by merrylees View Post
                  when I first started driving the DS3 did try going from 5th to reverse a couple of times by mistake
                  Did you release the clutch and if so, what happened?

Originally posted by merrylees View Post
                  have got out of the habit now so it must be possible
                  Yeah, old dogs CAN learn new tricks but if the clutch or gearbox breaks down before learning - it will cost a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
                    Well I have just sat in two DS3's ... and I found it impossible to engage reverse from fifth
                    Was it the HDi-90?

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
                    I would suggest if possible to try another DS3 and see if you can pull off the same trick.
                    I will do that tomorrow, and as I really love this car and would like to buy one, I really hope that another car will block the reverse gear :confused:

Comment

One protection would be to buy the 6-speed 110 to ensure you don't engage reverse
                      Proud owner of missing wonky stickers

Comment

^

Bring back 4 speed I say!!

Comment

Originally posted by mixin View Post
                          One protection would be to buy the 6-speed 110 to ensure you don't engage reverse
                          I would love to buy the DHi-110, but here in Denmark where I live, we pay a car almost 2,5 times. One time to the dealer and 1,5 time to the state :mad: So the DHi-110 is too expensive for me as it starts at around € 35.000

Comment

I just tried it in mine and there's a bit of resistance but its quite easy to get past it and into reverse.

Comment

^

Did you get the shifter to slide from fifth to reverse while moving?

Comment

Working...
                              X