Radiator fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator fan

Done nearly 900 miles now.Drove home from work today as normal but when I switched of engine radiator fan continued.Why does it not do this every time I do this journey?
    e-HDi 110 DSport Plus Perla Nera Black Metallic

Depends on how hot the engine is I guess, weather etc can affect this. Happens to me as well!
    DS3 DSport 150 THP

Comment

The weather today here in Lancashire is quite cool and I didn't hammer the car as I'm still running it in.It just seems strange it has not come on before:confused:
      e-HDi 110 DSport Plus Perla Nera Black Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by ICF View Post
        The weather today here in Lancashire is quite cool and I didn't hammer the car as I'm still running it in.It just seems strange it has not come on before:confused:
        Hard runs, warm temperatures, frequent spooling of the turbo. All things that can be attributed to your radiator fan blowing after you've shut down the engine.

In all fairness, with Turbo engines it is recommended that you leave the engine running on idle after a long run to allow vapours to evaporate and the turbo to cool down and stop spinning.

It's simply a case that the engine is warmer than it thinks it should be and overcompensates by allowing the fan to run a tad longer to cool everything down.

Completely normal and nothing to worry about.
        cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
          In all fairness, with Turbo engines it is recommended that you leave the engine running on idle after a long run to allow vapours to evaporate and the turbo to cool down and stop spinning.
          Where is this recommended?

I get it for older cars with enormous turbos, but for a modern one like the DS3 and 207, which has an additional small electric pump that operates to move coolant around the turbo jacket for quite some time after you've walked away from the car, surely it is not necessary?
          Regards,

Simon

2011 DS3 DSport (Sport Red with Onyx Black Roof).
          2014 208 GTi (Calado Blue).

Comment

Originally posted by SLC View Post
            Where is this recommended?

I get it for older cars with enormous turbos, but for a modern one like the DS3 and 207, which has an additional small electric pump that operates to move coolant around the turbo jacket for quite some time after you've walked away from the car, surely it is not necessary?
            I said nothing about it being necessary, only recommended.

You can find a shit tonne of info online on the pro's of doing so.
            cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

The point is to keep the oil flowing over the bearing surfaces to prevent coking. Water cooled or not it would still be a good idea to keep that oil flowing till those bearings cool off a bit but please feel free to shut yours straight down after a hard run doesn't bother me a bit. Me I'll let mine idle for a bit first.
              Originally posted by cyclone
              It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
              Originally posted by Broda
              I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

It's the same for the HDI engine too, never switch it off until the idle has rested as it harms the turbo unit.
                ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                Bigfeet's File Repository
                The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Working...
                X