Strange noise from engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange noise from engine

So after a 300 mile round trip the other week, I noticed that my engine has started to make a strange high pitched noise. Its kinda hard to describe and I will try and get a video up sometime soon, but its like a high pitched squeaking noise coming from the engine bay.

I know its not a belt because there's no mistaking the sound of a slipping belt but its nonetheless, quite worrying. Anyone have any idea on what it could be judged on what limited info I can offer? I know its pretty vague but any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Dstyle+ 1.6 VTi, Red/Black

Could you be more specific? When does the noise occur, what speed, is the engine hot or cold plus which model your driving and which engine would help!
    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Engine 120vti as per sig?

At a guess i'd say it was the AC condenser bracket cracked, as this can cause the ancilliary belt to become mis-aligned by a slight amount and cause a high pitched squeal, more noticable at idle.
      sigpic

Comment

I have sigs turned off
        ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
        Bigfeet's File Repository
        The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

That sounds pretty likely. You can only hear it at idle when the engine is hot or cold. It seems to be coming from the front of the engine bay on the driver's side if that helps?

Comment

Seems the noise only starts when I knock my A/C on. I reckon Dave might be onto something with the belt idea. I'll let them know when I take her in to the garage. If this is the case, is it a quick fix? Only problem is I only have 2 days off this week and then have to go down to college for a couple weeks so I'd rather it was fixed before I head off.

Cheers guys.

Comment

Working...
            X