Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats this clutch thing?

Been abroad for a while recently and hired a car
    Other than the (Irritating) engine stop/ start mechanism at traffic lights etc, the car wouldnt actually start when you got in it, without depressing the clutch and turning the ignition
    Years ago a colleague told me you were supposed to depress the clutch when starting vehicles in this country, but I never have
    My vehicle prior to the DS3- Ford Focus 1.6- had 97,000 miles in 8 years and it didnt seem to suffer from not depressing the clutch
    Do people depress the clutch to start- and if so what are the (perceived) benefits?
    Should we all do it, whatever fuel, engine, or what?
    CBLUE
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Most cars are now wired so you have to depress the clutch for it to start. Safety thing, I am absolutely sure at one point some idiot had the car in gear and didn't press the clutch so they ran someone over and then had the audacity to take the manufacturer to court. Can't you just see that scenario happening in todays world
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

try a vauxhall i needed to move the brother in laws disastra estate you need clutch and brake depressed to start it

i always have started cars with the clutch in since i once got in a car my dad had parked in gear and it lept towards the garage wall

Comment

So its nothing to do with less wear on the clutch/ gearbox then?
        CBLUE
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by sted View Post
          try a vauxhall i needed to move the brother in laws disastra estate you need clutch and brake depressed to start it

i always have started cars with the clutch in since i once got in a car my dad had parked in gear and it lept towards the garage wall
          I do the same as my Dad once left his car in gear and when I started it did the same. Old habits die hard.
          sigpic

Comment

Funny enough, I always leave mine in gear on anything that isnt completely flat, in case handbrake isnt secure
            Has never crossed my mind not to take it out of gear before I start the engine
            Never thought of someone else starting the car:redface:
            CBLUE
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

I've always done it, afaik it's to reduce the load on the starter motor. Also it's good practice to give the gear stick a wiggle side-to-side to check that the car's in neutral before starting.
              DS3 Racing, also available in White!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Arlow View Post
                I've always done it, afaik it's to reduce the load on the starter motor. Also it's good practice to give the gear stick a wiggle side-to-side to check that the car's in neutral before starting.
                Do this too. Think my driving instructor taught me this back in 1977
                sigpic

Comment

Wiggle it.. just a little bit....go on wiggle it.....every time (Song from a few year back with loadsa backsides in it- nice ones!)
                  1977.....and we are going mad......1977.....and everyones bleeding mad (X-Ray Specs- Punk rock band of the time- great stuff)
                  CBLUE
                  sigpic
                  Jog on Noddy

Comment

Back in the day before DMF (dual mass flywheel) flywheel clutch kits, depressing of the clutch prior to start was and should have been avoided, due to the lateral force placed on the crankshaft and the thrust bearings from the clutch depress, excess clutch depress was cause for premature thrust bearing wear, and this could and often was related to a misdiagnosed big end knock upon starting, this was simply the lateral play of the crankshaft, moving between the 2 central side thrust bearings, known as end float (nose float)

Moving onto DMF flywheel clutch kits and the idiot proof fail safe in gear engagement system, with full clutch depress necessary before any electrical current is sent to the starter solenoid via the clutch pedal actuated switch, clutch depress still puts lateral load force into the crankshaft and thrust bearings, but due to "technology for idiots" there is no escape for crankshaft lateral load, that said any excess wear and tell tale end float knock of the crankshaft/thrust bearings, will be absorbed by the spring cushioning (vibration damping) from the DMF (dual mass flywheel)

The primary function of the DMF is to absorb vibration pulses (firing pulses) from the crankshaft but it also absorbs crankshaft thrust bearing excess wear end float knock too, thanks to its vibration deadening qualities, the DMF's secondary function is to absorb transmission shock load and gear rotation chatter, and although the DMF is good at its job, it's function as a flywheel (power transmitter) is somewhat compromised, leading to very early premature clutch failings, and yes the flywheel manufacturers are aware of this issue, as too are the vehicle manufacturers, who blame 99% of premature clutch wear on, wait for it........driver error!

I'm sure in some cases this maybe true, that said, if "driver error" is the global blanket get out of warranty excuse, the we all must drive in the same manner, to induce "driver error" !!!!!
                    Performance Powered By Thought
                    Engineered Horsepower

Comment

So- should we depress the clutch when starting or not?
                      You ever get drunk, say silly things, and be just generally daft sometimes CzAR?
                      2 monosylaballatic answers be fine
                      CBLUE
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                        So- should we depress the clutch when starting or not?
                        You ever get drunk, say silly things, and be just generally daft sometimes CzAR?
                        2 monosylaballatic answers be fine
                        CBLUE
                        Ideally then NO, but more and more vehicles have the idiot switch fitted, forcing the clutch to be depressed to initiate the starting procedure, as for getting drunk that will be never, however that said, I do enjoy a glass of Red wine, Vodka and the odd every now and then pint socially, hmm not sure about saying silly things, maybe others sometimes think what I say maybe silly, but not I, I do have lots of fun though, I work hard and so I play hard very hard, and my fun isn't everybody's idea of fun.
                        Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Nice one Czar- at least you seem a bit human like the rest of us proletariat
                          Not just like CZEN......(The box of trickes on Blakes Seven we discussed) LOL
                          Milltek Cat timescale slipping then?
                          CBLUE
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                            Nice one Czar- at least you seem a bit human like the rest of us proletariat
                            Not just like CZEN......(The box of trickes on Blakes Seven we discussed) LOL
                            Milltek Cat timescale slipping then?
                            CBLUE
                            Hahahahaha, currently I have no further detailed timescale release dates for the Milltek high flow downpipe, the last I heard and posted was for the end of November, I will contact Milltek and see if I get a firm timescale release date.
                            Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by Czar View Post
                              I do enjoy a glass of Red wine, Vodka and the odd every now and then pint socially,
                              Well CZAR- if you like all that your OK in my book
                              But you mustnt drink them all at once LOL
                              Cos I would try- Ha!
                              CBLUE
                              Post Scriptum: Milltek will say earliest 2013 for release
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                              X