No announcement yet.

overheating, wont run in the mornings, and total water loss every month or two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating, wont run in the mornings, and total water loss every month or two

Hi All,

right im going to book my car in to be looked at tomorrow but i thought id check on here first and see if anyones got any ideas.

since ive had the car its been loosing water every month or two needing me to top it up, took it to citroen who "fixed" the problem. well thats what they told me however it is still exactly the same.
    For some reason though im now having trouble with it every morning, it will really struggle to start and then eventually when it does it stalls whenever i touch the throttle. then after a few minutes just ticking over its fine!

a few days ago i started the car and immediatly it said "over heat stop the god dam car fool blah blah blah" loud beeping etc. so i turned the car off, turned it back on and it would intermittently tell me to turn it off etc. fan was running obviously.

so yeah, anyone had a similar problem?

cheers, matt

Originally posted by motomarsh View Post
    Hi All,

right im going to book my car in to be looked at tomorrow but i thought id check on here first and see if anyones got any ideas.

since ive had the car its been loosing water every month or two needing me to top it up, took it to citroen who "fixed" the problem. well thats what they told me however it is still exactly the same.
    For some reason though im now having trouble with it every morning, it will really struggle to start and then eventually when it does it stalls whenever i touch the throttle. then after a few minutes just ticking over its fine!

a few days ago i started the car and immediatly it said "over heat stop the god dam car fool blah blah blah" loud beeping etc. so i turned the car off, turned it back on and it would intermittently tell me to turn it off etc. fan was running obviously.

so yeah, anyone had a similar problem?

cheers, matt
    THP by any chance? Had this problem just before my engine blew and was replaced by Citroen under Warranty (went without the car for a month).

Tow it to the dealership doing the work for you, drop the keys off and leave it there until they put in writing they're 100% happy with the work they've carried out and that no problems should arise because of it if they're unwilling to do anything else.
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Water pump or temperature sensor?
      Can't see the engine blowing myself:-)

CBLUE
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post

CBLUE
        Ah, should be fine then if the temperature sensor isn't working..
        cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
          THP by any chance? Had this problem just before my engine blew and was replaced by Citroen under Warranty (went without the car for a month).

Tow it to the dealership doing the work for you, drop the keys off and leave it there until they put in writing they're 100% happy with the work they've carried out and that no problems should arise because of it if they're unwilling to do anything else.
          na its not a THP ill get them to pick it up, im not towing it there when they told me before hand they'd fixed it !

Comment

Had a customer many years complaining about water loss from his engine coolant, got quiet vocal about it shouting about how shocking it was that his new car should burn through so much water and how rubbish Citroen's are until we pointed out that the tank he was filling was not the coolant level but rather the washer bottle...!
            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
            Bigfeet's File Repository
            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post

CBLUE
              why would it struggle to run if it was the temp sensor though :/

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
                Had a customer many years complaining about water loss from his engine coolant, got quiet vocal about it shouting about how shocking it was that his new car should burn through so much water and how rubbish Citroen's are until we pointed out that the tank he was filling was not the coolant level but rather the washer bottle...!
                hahaha! safe to say thats not my problem !

Comment

Originally posted by motomarsh View Post
                  why would it struggle to run if it was the temp sensor though :/
                  if the computer doesn't know the engine is cold it can not adjust fueling to apply the "choke"in the morning when cold, when the engine warms up it would run normal. This has happened to another forum member.
                  Originally posted by cyclone
                  It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                  Originally posted by Broda
                  I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Beat me to it Cyclone. Temp sensor is the probe for the ECU which controls lotsa stuff- if sensors wrong ECU goes doolali!

Water pump faulty would loose you coolant (obviously)

Fed up up with Saudi Cyc? See you at a meet soon then

CBLUE
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                      Ah, should be fine then if the temperature sensor isn't working..
                      We can't all be DOOM n GLOOM Fish
                      That's your job LOL
                      CBLUE
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                        if the computer doesn't know the engine is cold it can not adjust fueling to apply the "choke"in the morning when cold, when the engine warms up it would run normal. This has happened to another forum member.
                        Hi Cyclone
                        Is it a 120VTi?
                        I had the same problem with mine and it had to have a new coolant housing including temp sensor. Since then its been perfect, not had anymore starting issues, I think I've heard there is a slightly modified housing on the current new ones.

Hope this helps
                        Regards
                        Mark
                        CCC Citroenian "New DS" columnist.
                        Catering for DS3, 4 & 5.

Comment

Hi Mark,

Is the temp sensor an integral part of the new housing? Got this problem too. Still under warranty, did you get charged for your replacement housing?

Thanks!

ETA this is the housing I think I have. Cant see a sensor anywhere

]
                          Last edited by LandingSpot; 15-03-2013, 19:01.

Comment

Originally posted by LandingSpot View Post
                            Hi Mark,

Is the temp sensor an integral part of the new housing? Got this problem too. Still under warranty, did you get charged for your replacement housing?

Thanks!

ETA this is the housing I think I have. Cant see a sensor anywhere

]
                            Hi Landingspot

Yes I think they are connected as both were mentioned on the bill. But the bill was £0, all under warranty I'm pleased to say.

Mark
                            CCC Citroenian "New DS" columnist.
                            Catering for DS3, 4 & 5.

Comment

Same thing has happened to mine...

Been to citroen 4 times now and they have claimed to fix it every time...

Still waiting for them to fix it this time. Had the 'best' technician come all the way from Southampton to look at it but still no joy.
                              The people in Citroen Wokingham try so hard to not help you in the slightest. They are simply c***s

Comment

Working...
                              X