heater not blowing hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heater not blowing hot

Hi last week or so my heater stopped blowing hot air .checked my coolent level and the header tank was empty I filled this up and the heater worked again. Question? If the level was low wouldn't that make the engine get hotter? Or am missing something?

I'm only guessing cos I don't know how it works but maybe if the coolant was too low there wasn't enough liquid in the system and the heater matrix to provide heat inside the car ?

Is there any sign of a leak or coolant pooling under the car ?
    sigpic

Comment

Theres no visible leak.just haven't checked the level enough.thanks for replying

Comment

It would make the engine hotter but as far as I know the car is heated by blowing air from around the heater core into the car, not from the engine bay itself. So if there isn't enough coolant to transport the heat to the heater core their won't be enough hot air around the heater core to be blown into the car.

Comment

if the weather is cold the engine may not get too hot but! if coolent level is low the heat reading from sensor maybe a fault reading
          i had a coolent leak from the water pump and it started as you decribe it.
          i sugest to check water level before and after every drive becuase if a lot of coolent missing it will be replaced by air in the system that air pushes water up (when hot) and looks like water level is ok. but when engine is cooler these water go down..
          i chagned my water pump twice by warenty.
          Last edited by ori; 17-03-2013, 19:49. Reason: misstyping

Comment

just as a safety precaution check your oil level
            http://www.ds3club.co.uk/attachment....4&d=1420569803
            :rolleyes: Too Good For Heaven & Too Bad For Hell :mad:

sigpic

Comment

Keep an eye on it, normally you shouldn't loose any coolant as its a closed system. Like the man said you may have a leak developing.
              Originally posted by cyclone
              It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
              Originally posted by Broda
              I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Working...
              X