Handbrake...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handbrake...

Not sure how or why (functionality of cars is not my strong point!)... i put my handbrake on last night..took it off this morning...and it no longer works!! Cant get it looked at until Tuesday! :/

Thoughts?

it's the fastest who get paid and it's the fastest who get laid

Park it on a hill in gear with a brick on the brake pedal?

Sound's like you've most likely applied the handbrake too hard and possibly snapped the cable.
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

When you say no longer works I take it you mean that you can no longer apply the handbrake, if that's the case then it does sound like a snapped cable.

Quick test is to pull the handbrake on and try to drive forward in first gear, watch the bonnet it should start to rise if the handbrake if working correct.
      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
      Bigfeet's File Repository
      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Correct..no longer applies. bonnet doesnt look to move

Could it have snapped when it was released this morning? temp guage was reading -5. It showed no signs of movement last night. Its only parked on a fairly flat drive so its hard to imagine im over doing it

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          Correct..no longer applies. bonnet doesnt look to move

Could it have snapped when it was released this morning? temp guage was reading -5. It showed no signs of movement last night. Its only parked on a fairly flat drive so its hard to imagine im over doing it
          Easy way of finding out. How many "clicks" on average do you use to apply the handbrake whether in traffic or parking up?

You'll only need two "clicks" to apply the handbrake (source: Biggy) anything more than this and technically you're overdoing it.
          cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

The hand breaks are to a certain extent self adjusting on DS3 with rear drums. If you apply and release the hand break several times in a row you may find it will re-adjust itself enough to start working again

Comment

Rear drums ? Don't they have discs all round like mine ?
              sigpic

Comment

I had this same problem every year with my Astra Van.. in very cold conditions the cable mechanism would freeze and it would either freeze while the handbrake was applied (which meant i had to drive to work with the handbrake permanently on or it wouldn't work at all) when the weather warmed up it just released and went back to normal... but a car of these ages (DS3s) shouldn't be having trouble with snapped cables surely !
                The Truth is Out There !

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                  Rear drums ? Don't they have discs all round like mine ?
                  Depends on the model. Don't know if the later HDI 90bhp have disc all round but the eralier ones had drums. The sport HDI have disc all round and would think the petrol ones with larger bhp will too.

Comment

Car has been in today!

It appears the cables had unclipped from the handbrake mechanism?! They have just been clipped back on and everything is fine and dandy!!

Comment

hi thats good news
                      DS3 RACING | SUPERCHIPPED 233bhp/321nm | ITG INDUCTION

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X