Motorway signal function...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helvellyn View Post
    Quite a few people have responded to my post by suggesting I should just teach people how to use the feature, because it's becoming an increasingly common feature of modern cars.

First thing to be said about this is that I do indeed teach people about this feature. However, particularly with early stage learners, having a conscious intellectual knowledge of something, and having the ability to use that knowledge when you're also having to consciously think about what you're doing with your left foot, your right foot, your hands, where you're supposed to be looking, trying to assess a safe gap, etc, is a different deal entirely.

The DS3 also features cruise control. Like the lane change signal, this also is becoming increasingly common on modern cars. I don't suppose there are any instructors here suggesting that I should make early stage pupils use it?

Yet that's what happens here. Lesson one. You're probably nervous, with neither the understanding or the control yet, trying your very best to deal with one of the most complicated things you'll ever have to learn, and you're having to deal with a feature that is designed for motorway driving.

So while teaching more advanced pupils such things is certainly a good thing, having the option to switch it off would be much appreciated by this particular instructor.
    See post #3 for an effective way to handle this.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

I would imagine, if it was possible, that the function would lie within the Diaglog box set-up menu for the car. Your best bet would be to ask your dealer if they would plug your DS3 in and check, granted that they may charge you for the time and there is no guarantee that it is possible to do so.

I will admit that I have a number for driver instructors who all use DS3/C3 and none of them have ever returned mentioning this as a problem but I think I will ask as your point is an interesting one.
      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
      Bigfeet's File Repository
      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Bmws haven't had indicators for year :mad: I love got a vauxhall atm whilst I wait and I absolutely hate the indicators, surely can't be worse! Might just have to join the BMW club

Comment

lol. funny. people seem adamant that the option to turn it off should not be provided.

You're responding as if I'd proposed that no ds3 owner should ever be given the option of using a lane change signal.

Dammit! You SHALL have this feature! Whether you want it or not. Any suggestion that you be allowed to choose for yourself whether to have it is a dangerous perversion!

I have my current car for another 18 months. IF Citroen do something about this I will certainly make the DS3 my next vehicle too. If not, well that's something to set against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
            I would imagine, if it was possible, that the function would lie within the Diaglog box set-up menu for the car. Your best bet would be to ask your dealer if they would plug your DS3 in and check, granted that they may charge you for the time and there is no guarantee that it is possible to do so.
            Thank you. When I first enquired about the DS3, I wasn't entirely sure that the parking sensors would be acceptable on test, so I asked if there was a way of switching them off. The dealership told me that yes, it could be done, but only by the garage, not as a user option. As it happens, the parking sensors are a useful and legitimate driving tool, so I didn't need to do anything about it, but I suppose it may be possible that a Citroen garage might be able to do something.

Comment

Originally posted by helvellyn View Post
              lol. funny. people seem adamant that the option to turn it off should not be provided.

You're responding as if I'd proposed that no ds3 owner should ever be given the option of using a lane change signal.

Dammit! You SHALL have this feature! Whether you want it or not. Any suggestion that you be allowed to choose for yourself whether to have it is a dangerous perversion!

I have my current car for another 18 months. IF Citroen do something about this I will certainly make the DS3 my next vehicle too. If not, well that's something to set against it.
              Just giving our opinions, If I were making a product and sold tens of thousands and 1 person wanted to change something wouldn't happen. Your money buy what you want but you will find something else to bitch about don't worry.

Comment

I agree with Helvellyn, I don't think people understand what he's getting at. He doesn't mean he wants the indicators completely removed.. that would just be a stupid idea.

It's the silly automatic 3 flash feature if you don't press the stick hard enough to put it fully on that needs some kind of option.

The day I got my ds3 racing I was driving it home, a driver let me out into his lane I went to do the quick left right to say thank you and instead ended up looking like a complete moron because I thought the indicator was stuck completely on so kept trying to cancel it by indicating the opposite way. It's fine if you know what it does but because it's not standard in every car it really should be an option to have it on or off.

Also on top of this I could think of a few places a student might get penalised in a driving test for indicating after a junction if there is another turn-off just after it because the indicator wont turn off until it's done its 3 flashes.

Comment

We all understand the 3 blink issue it's just not a biggie for most (nearly all) of us......

As per Biggie's suggestion the best bet is to ask Citroen if they can turn it off for those it causes issues.
                  sigpic

Comment

'Scuse my butting in to a DS3 forum, but my wife and I are badly troubled by this function on our C4 G Picasso - I am certain the stalk is badly set - but neither the dealer or Citroen will offer any help. All we need is it disabled - we don't 'need' it! The slightest off-centre dip movement on the headlights sets the indicator off one way or the other and it almost caused an accident the other evening when an idiot saw three left flashes after my wife dipped and pulled out of a side road into our path. She is now unwilling to drive the car at night.

Comment

As far as I know from this thread it can't be turned off, well the original poster never came back to tell us if he did get it turned off anyways

If you think yours is faulty I would ask Citroen to check, maybe a repair/replacement under warranty might be possible
                      sigpic

Comment

have you tried an auto electrician with the software to check and see if he can do it.
                        i went to an auto electrician near me to see if he could activate the auto dim for the led's he couldnt do it on my car but the option is there so if you can find an auto electrician who can check if its possible, he might be able to do it cheaper than Citroen

i say its worth a try

OH BTW the auto electrician never took anything for checking but thats not to say yours wont but still worth a try
                        http://www.ds3club.co.uk/attachment....4&d=1420569803
                        :rolleyes: Too Good For Heaven & Too Bad For Hell :mad:

sigpic

Comment

Must say it has caught me unawares a few times- but as many have said, just leave it be
                          Rather have it than not on balance
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

WTF have had this on every car I have owned since the late 90's. It is pretty much the standard now unless you want a POS . Embrace the change you can not stop progress

Comment

I think the feature is nice, people often flash once or half blinks and they're useless.

Comment

As an ADI here too, I don't see it as a problem, I tell my students to use it if they feel comfortable to do so (i.e confident with the car and driving in general) otherwise, if they do accidentally cancel it too far and it goes to the other side, I just say leave it, it will sort itself out!

I personally like the feature, and miss it when driving cars that don't have it!
                                BumbleBee OneTwenteeee!

Comment

Working...
                                X