Resource thread - Engine Failure Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resource thread - Engine Failure Experiences

I am looking for testimonials from engineers, people knowing THP well, or anyone with similar engine failure experiences. Testimonials will be used in court as it seems we have to go all the way there.

My five cents: detonation blew the piston and as I was rolling downhill when it happened (not pressing gas) there was no load on the engine either, this must be related to the PCV issue? My PCV was standard so all that oil haze crap had a free flow to the cylinder chamber lowering octane and causing detonation?

As much detail as possible will benefit others, suggested info includes:
    • Model
    • Build year
    • Mileage
    • Summary of fault/error (include how you noticed fault/what happened)
    • Any advice given from on what was caused this issue
    • Action taking to resolve
    • Did this fix your DS3?
    • Are you happy with the way it was handled?
    • Are you driving happy now?

Admin note
    Opinions and views expressed in this thread are that of the individual, and not that of DS3Club.co.uk
    Citroën DS3 Racing 2011 Polar White
    ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
    sigpic

Currently on my second engine from Citroen.

PM me if you need any details Rag, I'm available on Skype too if you need any help.
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Model - Dsport 150 thp
      Year - 2010
      Mileage -14200k
      Engine failed....Noticed a lot of exhaust condensation whilst driving home.
      Engine management warning light came on.....Misfiring well & truely !!!.
      Cause of issue - No 1 piston catasrophiclly failed side wall of piston broke off !!!.
      In my opinion casting of piston not thick enough were the groove of the rings live.
      Action -Engine replaced under warranty.
      No problems with replacement engine however took six weeks for replacement engine and i did not have a courtesy car !!!.
      Sold my Ds3 for new one.
      Last edited by Clarky; 27-04-2013, 12:35.

Comment

Model - Citroen DS3 Racing 207bhp
        Year - 2011
        Mileage - 12500 (clutch), 16000k (engine)
        Clutch pressure valve broke, had to fight Citroen for a week before they covered it by warranty. Claimed it is a wearing part and that the warranty for that specific part had ended 300 miles ago. Finally they covered it when I went berserk. Had a courtesy car even and they tried to charge for it.

Currently fighting for engine replacement, they claim I have performance modded the car. Not true, requested for evidence but got nothing except some controversy pics that could be out of any car. No 2 piston failed, side wall of piston broke off (pics in another thread). According to an auto expert the piston failure seems to related to the same reason as Clarky had, casting failure. Had a courtesy car for few days, but returned it because do not want to risk anything anymore with these snaky b*stards (last time tried to charge me 800 euros for a 2.5 days C3 courtesy car). Diagnosis expenses so far 630 euros and engine replacement estimate 8500 euros. I have a lawyer working on the case, we are trying lemon it as there is noway I can trust this vehicle anymore. Two major break downs in six months is more than enough for my blood pressure.

Did research on the history of the car. Previous owner had it for less than a month and returned it to another dealer? Doesn't that already ring a bell?

In case anyone considers getting a Racing, please do not do it. There are already so many horror stories here about it.
        ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
        sigpic

Comment

Wow piston failure. And I thought the chain failure was the worst that could happen... Clarky, do you have a standard thp? So no mods?

Comment

Originally posted by pmatil View Post
            Wow piston failure. And I thought the chain failure was the worst that could happen... Clarky, do you have a standard thp? So no mods?
            Tell me about it. I thought I bought a premium car considering the price.

Here is another one for Racings
            http://hellopeter.com/citroen/compla...y-issue-993879

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pmatil View Post
              Yep standard thp not remapping.....Has more poke than my first Thp must be the exrtra 5bhp lol.

Comment

Standard 2010 thp
                Two timing chain failures in 36000
                One high pressure fuel pump failure
                After the timing chain went at 36 part ex the thing in for a 110 diesel lost money but could not trust the car again with warranty running out
                The thing was just a time bomb
                All I got out if Cuk was a free service and £200 for assesories fir my new one
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-M...71187626414180

Pop in and give me a like

Comment

Model - Citroen DS3 THP DSport
                  Year - 2010
                  Mileage - 16000Miles before first engine replacement
                  14000Miles before second engine failure.

Engine went into Limp mode shortly after covering 16k miles en route home from picking the girlfriend up one night.
                  Car was taken to Dealership whilst they worked on replacing the engine with CUK. Diagnosis was a snapped piston in cylinder 4 which had caused a heap of damage.
                  Without the car for 4 weeks. Dealership were really good at keeping me updated however contact with CUK was poor.

CUK offered a "gesture of goodwill" up to the value of £250 however later revoked this.

14k covered on the new engine and I'm currently arranging delivery to a new dealers to look at the failure.

No warning message this time around, just plumes of white smoke, constant misfiring and a very rough idle/stuttering when driving.

The car was taken to the dealers a few months before this failure due to suffering hesitation issues. The HPFP was replaced however the problems came back a short while after.

Currently waiting for Citroen to make up their mind as to whether this will be covered under warranty before selling the car.

Never again will I be buying a car made by the PSA group.
                  cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

I am quite interested in this thread. I am a little bit nervous as I put more miles on my car. I am hoping no THP 155 shows up here lol.
                    2006 Peugeot 206 1.6 110hp (Sold)
                    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0 Turbo 230hp (Sold)
                    2003 Honda S2000 2.0 240hp (Sold)
                    2012 Citroen DS3 Sport 1.6 Turbo 165hp (Current)

Comment

So, my sorry, sorry tale of woe.

I have a DS3 150 on a 61 plate. Bought it new, delighted with it until the now familiar problems began. Initially, the temp gauge was all over the place, accompanied by the "STOP ENGINE" light. This after about 7k. Temp sensor replaced. Happened again, replaced again.

Engine problem (the loss of power, "engine needs repair" one) came next, 1000 miles later. And 10 times since. It has been to 5 different dealers, including the last time, the supplying dealer. They had it for a month. They replaced much, including the entire wiring loom. It helped. For about 2000 miles. And now the problems are back.

I have been discussing this with Citroen UK on and off during the whole process, but they haven't been helpful. They have repeatedly asked me to "give Citroen another chance to resolve the problem" and assured me that "this is a real rarity" and "hardly anybody has these problems". They also insisted I give the supplying dealer and a master technician a chance, hence the one month off the road with that dealer.

When I picked it up from the supplying dealer after they had it for a month, I said "this is the final chance, if it isn't fixed after this, I want a replacement car". They agreed, told me nothing was more important than making sure I was "satisfied" and that they would involved Citroen UK. That has now happened, and Citroen UK have responded with a "good will gesture" of £1000. If that isn't enough, they say I "need to go legal". Unbelievable. Citroen? Never, ever, ever, ever again.

Comment

Sorry to hear that you have also been screwed over. It seems Citroen's selling strategy is "hit-and-run", they sell one car to you and do not give a sh!t about the future sales.

What can I tell you... just bend over and take it with pride (or what's left of it).

sigpic

Comment

Tale of woe

Nah, I'm too old to bend over. I'm pushing the dealer hard to resolve. I'm going to keep booking my car in for repair every time it even suggests there might be something wrong. I'm going to get a courtesy car every time. I'm going to bug the dealer principle every day for an update. I'm going to call Citroen UK every day and bug them too.

Nobody sells me a piece of cr4p and gets away with it. I am also planning legal action against both Citroen and the "but it's not out fault, we only sell the cars" supplying dealer. I am discussing the art of the possible with lawyers now and will update when I have more

Comment

Originally posted by pastalista View Post
                            Nah, I'm too old to bend over. I'm pushing the dealer hard to resolve. I'm going to keep booking my car in for repair every time it even suggests there might be something wrong. I'm going to get a courtesy car every time. I'm going to bug the dealer principle every day for an update. I'm going to call Citroen UK every day and bug them too.

Nobody sells me a piece of cr4p and gets away with it. I am also planning legal action against both Citroen and the "but it's not out fault, we only sell the cars" supplying dealer. I am discussing the art of the possible with lawyers now and will update when I have more
                            Good for you!!!

jb

Comment

^ Yeah I agree, if you could update this thread as it progresses I'm sure others would appreciate your efforts if they ever need to follow suit
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X