cleaning windscreen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning windscreen!

Hiya just after some advice on the best thing to use to clean the windscreen i shamied it after washing and it was fine but now ive waxed and polished the car its got the white dust on it ! Arrrggh taken so long ! Is it ok to use window cleaning stuff for indoors or will it effect the wipers when it rains ( prob in an hours time as it always does when ive washed the car ) gave her the full works today !!! this is the last thing
    DS3 DSPORT 155 THP- Fuchsia Pink/Thorium Grey Special Edition - DO NOT TOUCH !!!

"Rain away" is a good product IMO
    Like an alcohol clean across the glass- and rain beads away
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Autoglym window cleaner worked for me and if you're looking for offers Halfords were doing 3 for 2 on some products.

Comment

Great thanks for ur help guys i always get stuck with the windscreen :confused: Dont know why, i seem to make it smeary ! Off to halfords for me ! just used the shammy again for now !
        DS3 DSPORT 155 THP- Fuchsia Pink/Thorium Grey Special Edition - DO NOT TOUCH !!!

Comment

Hi,

As suggested Autoglym Fast Glass is good, as it Autobrite Crystal....

I also commented yesterday re smears following window cleaning:

The trick is to use a second microfibre to buff off the glass cleaner - use one cloth to apply and buff off 80-90% and then a clean one to buff off the last 10%.

And use very, very little window cleaner - I watched someone the other day use three squirks per window - no, one very light squirt max per window, it's excess product you're looking at with the smearing....

And I wash my microfibres after every use (40 degrees C, NO fabric conditioner, no of the household's clothes in with them, preferably in your dedicated car wash washing machine) (well it is OCD)....

Edit: household window cleaners don't contain the same level of anti-reflection properies, because of oncoming car's headlights.....so best to avoid household window cleaners.

Regards,
          Clive.
          CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
          DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

Autoglym Fast Glass. Try not to do it when the sun is out
            sigpic

Comment

after washing the car you're best to use something like AutoGlym Glass Polish (other makes available) on the windscreen and on the rubber wiper blades

if you don't often wash the car (a job I loath) then clean the wiper blades this way in between car washes

always use clean cleaning materials, not half clean from previous use, or use fresh cleaning materials and throw them away when soiled or clean and reuse as appropriate - this applies to the cleaning water too, if it's dirty change it for fresh and rinse out the bucket, tools and materials used

clean your brushes, cloths, chamois*, sponges, buckets, etc. before you put them away - or at the very least clean them before you use them again but they'll be smelly and possibly mouldy if you put them away wet/damp and dirty

otherwise your starting out cleaning with dirt

note: a proper chamois does need to be kept damp, in a container with small vent hole - but it still should be packed away clean, most are dirty when used next time

I also like to use 'Rain-X' or equivalent on all exterior glass as it makes cleaning the exterior glass easier

once 'Rain-x'd' to clean the exterior glass I use a very weak solution of windscreen washer fluid in plain water and a splash of 'Rain-X rejuvenator' or equivalent (not the actual Rain-X itself the rejuvinator instead that goes in the car's washer bottle) in a clean spray bottle and thin cheap paper towel (the thick expensive stuff doesn't work as well) cheap and very effective plus you're topping up the 'Rain-X' (or equivalent) effect - I still use glass polish to clean the wiper blades occasionally
              Last edited by nta16; 26-05-2013, 19:16. Reason: EFS

Comment

Thanks everyone for your tips, ill deffinately be using them, much appreciated , so much i didnt know !

Comment

Working...
                X