Engine Coolant Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Coolant Leaking

Well, just can't begin to say how furious I am!

Took my DS3 (I got this in October 2011) to local Citroen dealer last week (on Fri 7th June) as I noticed that engine coolant compartment was empty after my 10 mile journey to work - filled it up to 'max', drove 10 miles home, and lo and behold dry as a bone again. Garage advised that they think the water pump was broken but they wanted to check the engine incase the coolant was leaking into there - and also 4 sensors had broken - I was not getting any notification of engine coolant level being low in the car. SO! As garage is so busy, they told me that they couldn't fit the car in until 20th June, but car would be fine to drive as long as I kept the coolant level topped up.

So, I have been filling this up twice a day - before my journey to work and before my return journey. All was well until I arrived at work this morning - put engine off and loads of smoke & steam flying out from under the bonnet. (Gingerly) opened up the bonnet to find that the coolant is gone - as is the cap that closes the coolant compartment - pressure has ejected it off.

Phoned the garage in a temper, only to be told that its not their problem since they told me not to drive it! Did they hell! If they did say this (which they did NOT), why did they let me drive 20 miles home in it after the initial inspection? They couldn't answer that!

I now have to pay £90 to get my car taken to their garage since they don't have a recovery vehicle and no courtesy cars are available. Luckily for my, my boss has one that I can borrow for as long as I need. I told them that I would be contacting Citroen direct to complain since I believe that the garage is in the wrong and I should never have been told it was fine to drive.

Anyone else having problems like this?

I've not seen a problem like this before, it's a shame that after advising you that it would be ok (although I don't know how they can know this when the fault has yet to be diagnosed) they take the attitude of blaming you for driving it.

My advice would be to keep calm when dealing with both Citroen and your local dealer and stick to the facts as you know them. I suspect your biggest problem will be that you're unable to prove you were told it was ok to drive the car until next week....

If you look at the bottom of the page you'll see links to any similar posts in the past, doing so I found this - http://ds3club.co.uk/showthread.php?...0-coolant-leak not sure if you have a VTi but it sounds similar to your problem, sadly there is no post at the end to confirm the issue

Good luck
    Last edited by lfcrule1972; 12-06-2013, 11:53.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jecknlaul View Post
      I now have to pay £90 to get my car taken to their garage since they don't have a recovery vehicle and no courtesy cars are available. Luckily for my, my boss has one that I can borrow for as long as I need. I told them that I would be contacting Citroen direct to complain since I believe that the garage is in the wrong and I should never have been told it was fine to drive.
      Anyone else having problems like this?
      I'm always having problems with mine.

With regards to the comment above, speak with CUK. The last time my car needed taking in I was told to fax over the invoice for this and they'd refund the cost.

I'd see if they're willing to do the same again.
      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Hi there,

That's bad, but alas, not untypical - my advice is if it's a national chain (or even if not) of a Citroen dealership, ask for the MD's personal mobile number - say you do not want to discuss it further with someone 'local' who clearly doesn't know what customer care is. The logic here is it gets attention - on my last service, I had had a minor previous job under warranty and the General Manager apologised because they forgot to top my petrol ans said 'just mention when you come in for your service and we'll put 10 litres in' - no problem, so I did....then when I collected no extra petrol in car - 'oh he's not in this region anymore' - 'so why didnt you call me earlier to explain?' - so they called him 'he doesnt remember' (I had his mobile number but he'd changed it) - so I said 'no problem phone number of 'given chain' MD's mobile number Now please' - then the branch manager appeared, so I simply said 'if apprears your staff are refusing to give me, 'just' a customer the MD's mobile number, are you refusing as well?' - within minutes my tank was filled... don't be put off by their so-called procedures, tell them you're a customer, do they give a hoot about 'customers'? - walking towards someone looking at a new car in the showroom works a treat as well with the words 'hi, you thinking of buying a car from here, let me tell you something'......

OK, that's a trivial example, but I've also got all my money back on a car before, go for it, ask for the MD, don't b****r about at the local level, as they don't want you calling the MD - remember your sales contract is with the retailer (i.e. the car dealership, not with Citroen), so go for the dealership.....

I'm a pleasant generous guy but hate poor customer service....

Of course I'm assuming the place you took it into was the same place (or member of same dealership) you bought it from...

You'll get it sorted

Regards,
        Clive.
        Last edited by CliveP; 12-06-2013, 12:08.
        CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
        DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

Brilliant cleaning tips and good customer service advice ?? CliveP you should post here more often !!!
          sigpic

Comment

Well, recovery folks are coming this afternoon and surprise surprise they have a free space to check it out tomorrow - and not on 20th June as I was originally told.

Since I got this car in October 2011, it has had a few problems with it and as its under warranty, I just take it to my local citroen dealer, which is 20 miles away - I originally bought it from Arnold Clark at Armadale, which is about 150 miles away! Just sent off a massive complaint email to Citroen so will see what their response it....

Thanks for all your comments folks!

Comment

Well, latest update - garage still has car. They got it from recovery folk on Wednesday afternoon (about 2pm) and I had heard nothing at all as of 5pm last night, so I called them. Told me that the car is currently hooked up to pressure machine, so they can try and find out where the pressure is escaping from. They wouldn't have the results until this morning so someone would call me at 09.30am with the details......no phone call by 12.30pm so I called them, only to be told 'Oh sorry, the repairs dept are now closed for the weekend - you will have to phone back on Monday".

Tell you something, I have used this particular garage quite a lot and they have always been excellent, however they are sorely testing my patience.....God help them on Monday when I finally get to speak to them....

Comment

Ok Folks - latest update on this farce!
                Finally got car back on Thursday 20th June - apparently the water pump was cracked and needed replaced so this was causing the coolant to leak out. They advise that this is becoming quite common on all models of DS3 - so watch out for this one. Garage advised that the coolant level may drop a little the day I drove it home - this is true. It did drop slightly on Friday, a wee bit more on Sat, more again on Sun and by Mon, Tues and this morning - bone dry by the time I drive 15 miles home from work each day. Took to garage again this morning but was told that they can't find a problem. Was told that EITHER I filled the level up too high (which I did not) or the new cap they put on caused to much pressure?! They assured me that there was no leaking at all - so why did they have to fully replace all the coolant I put in by the time I had driven 20 miles to garage from home?!!

Comment

Originally posted by jecknlaul View Post
                  Ok Folks - latest update on this farce!
                  Finally got car back on Thursday 20th June - apparently the water pump was cracked and needed replaced so this was causing the coolant to leak out. They advise that this is becoming quite common on all models of DS3 - so watch out for this one. Garage advised that the coolant level may drop a little the day I drove it home - this is true. It did drop slightly on Friday, a wee bit more on Sat, more again on Sun and by Mon, Tues and this morning - bone dry by the time I drive 15 miles home from work each day. Took to garage again this morning but was told that they can't find a problem. Was told that EITHER I filled the level up too high (which I did not) or the new cap they put on caused to much pressure?! They assured me that there was no leaking at all - so why did they have to fully replace all the coolant I put in by the time I had driven 20 miles to garage from home?!!
                  Have you spoken with CUK yet?
                  cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Yip - they agreed to refund the £90 for the recovery - and I was to ask my dealership to give me a cheque for this amount. I asked for it again this morning but was told I would get it once they received their money from CUK first?! What a mess this is. I am contemplating phoning them again though as I am convinced that there is something still wrong with the car - engine also starting to make a loud 'whooping' noise whenver I get to 70mph - this is a new fault. I'm due to drive up to Arbroath in a few weeks time (150 miles from where we live) - and I honestly don't think the car is safe enough....

Comment

And so Folks the saga continues......once again the engine coolant is bone try after a 15 mile journey to work. Phoned the garage at 8.30am to tell them I want this sorted out - and they were going to phone me back asap....still waiting to hear from them. Absolutely raging. AND!! I'm still waiting for my £90 refund from the original farce. Think another phonecall to CUK is in order. I am going away up north in 2 weeks - 150 mile journey and there is no way that this car will cope with this if I can't even get 15 miles into work without engine coolant disappearing. My patience has worn thin on this matter. Thank god its under warranty!

Comment

Top it up with water and go and do another 15 mile trip. It may have just shifted an air lock in the system. French cars are always difficult to get rid of the air.

www.SPTuning.co.uk
                        Facebook.com/SPTuning.Ltd
                        White on red THP
                        Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Well, the end result on this was the thermostat had to be replaced as it was faulty. Since they replaced this 2 weeks ago it all appears to be ok.........

Comment

Good news. Hope it all your coolant stays where it belongs now!
                            Originally posted by cyclone
                            It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                            Originally posted by Broda
                            I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Sounds like it's been fixed at last, great news
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X