Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch Scream/Screech when pulling away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Scream/Screech when pulling away?

Hi guys,

I have a 2012 1.6 THP sport and have this rather concerning problem.

At about 12,000 miles I started to get this screech/screaming noise from the bottom left of the engine (area) when pulling away from first at biting point.
    It only happens every now and then, on bad days every-time I pull away. It seems to happen more if I am puling away whilst on a slope.

I took it in to the garage and they couldn't make it create the same noise, despite me showing them (Taking their tech guy out for a spin) which really pissed me off. I then went in again and showed them. They told me it would be around £500 to look at it, if it's a warranty issue then no cost.

The car is now at 19,000 and drives fine, new tyres, discs and a sensor for the ESP (after a rat chewed through it!).

My problem is that the car drives fine, however I will need a new clutch eventually and that's £700. I will be rather annoyed if I have to pay out £500 to fix this problem, and then another £700 for the clutch after just spending close to a grand on tyres/brakes.

Any ideas/suggestions?

slack fanbelt is usualy connectet to high pitch screetch when taking away
    all it needs is tightened if this is the case
    also ? a new clutch after only 19,000 miles omg average life of a clutch is 60,000 + depending on driving style
    http://www.ds3club.co.uk/attachment....4&d=1420569803
    :rolleyes: Too Good For Heaven & Too Bad For Hell :mad:

sigpic

Comment

I agree with slack fanbelt as a possibility. I had the problem with my old Saxo some years ago. It sounded scarily expensive but a new fanbelt cured the problem (the old one had become glazed on its surface by the slipping and wouldn't stop slipping even when re-tightened).

Possible alternative = cam belt follower? (Cam belt is a rather more drastic problem if it fails, as I also know to my cost on the same old Saxo!!)
      Shark grey / white Vti 120 DStyle ordered 2 March 2013, built 23 March 2013, collected 20 April 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Possible alternative = cam belt follower? (Cam belt is a rather more drastic problem if it fails, as I also know to my cost on the same old Saxo!!)
        A cam belt failure on a THP would be drastic!

. . . and impossible!

. . . the camshafts are chain driven.

Comment

Ah... OK..

Thanks for that!

(I thought the modern thing was belt driven camshafts because chains get rattly when they wear)
          Shark grey / white Vti 120 DStyle ordered 2 March 2013, built 23 March 2013, collected 20 April 2013

Comment

Does anyone know if the chain is only fitted to the THP DS3s ? I have the 115 eHDI DSport+.....
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
              Does anyone know if the chain is only fitted to the THP DS3s ? I have the 115 eHDI DSport+.....
              Petrol engines use chains, diesels use belts.

Comment

Bastards ! lol

Thanks though...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                  Bastards ! lol
                  Bastards? bet all those people with THP timing chain/tensioner issues would have liked a belt that worked instead
                  Originally posted by cyclone
                  It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                  Originally posted by Broda
                  I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Yeah fair enough cyclone
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi I had this exact problem on my Mini Cooper S turbo (same basic engine as the THP). The problem on my Mini turned out to be a faulty dual-mass flywheel, which caused this awful roaring/screaming noise when pulling away in first gear. It would only happen if I had been using the car in heavy stop-start traffic, and once it had made the noise once, it carried on for the rest of the journey.

My advise would be to definately hassle your Citroen dealer. I was told I would have to cover the cost of stripping the car down and investigating the clutch, should it be diagnosed as 'wear and tear'. However I was informed that there was lateral movement from the flywheel which caused premature damage to the clutch. Both were replaced under warranty.

Hope this helps

Comment

P.s the above happened after 25k miles

Comment

Thanks for the additional info
                          sigpic

Comment

Hi did you ever get this problem fixed? I have exactly the same issue with my citroen Ds3 1.6 petrol 64 plate. Going to book in garage end of week.

Comment

Originally posted by Fieldwater View Post
                              Hi did you ever get this problem fixed? I have exactly the same issue with my citroen Ds3 1.6 petrol 64 plate. Going to book in garage end of week.
                              Unfortunatley I doubt you will get an answer to your question as all the contributors posted up just under 7 years ago

Then again, I had a bad case of clutch squeal on one of my THP's and it turned out to be the clutch release bearing
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                              X