winter wheels sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter wheels sizes

Ive been told that i shouldn't fit 204/45/16 tyres onto steel wheels and use them for winter driving as it will have an impact on the drive train since the current wheels and tyres are the 205/45/17. any advice guys is this a load of rubbish or is there some truth in it.

The wheel would be smaller than what you are running, up the profile size of the tyre to compensate for the diameter difference.
    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

There is quite a bit of size difference between those 2 the diameter of the 16 in tire is 24.3" while the 16 in is 23.3" a 1" difference or put it another way the circumference the distance the tire actually rolls is 3" different. Would be better off sticking to the stock 16 in tire size of 195/55/16 that is 24.4" only 0.1"different in diameter from the 17 in tire.
      Originally posted by cyclone
      It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
      Originally posted by Broda
      I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Found this on the interweb, might be useful, http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

Comment

Originally posted by DavidDS3 View Post
          Found this on the interweb, might be useful, http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/
          Or (tire width x aspect ratio) divided by 25.4 x 2 + rim size = tire diameter.
          so a tire size 205/45/17 would be 205 x .45 =92.25 divided by 25.4 =3.63 x 2 =7.26 + 17 = tire diameter of 24.26
          sometimes it is good to know the math but I will admit an on line calculator is easier
          Originally posted by cyclone
          It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
          Originally posted by Broda
          I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

thanks guys i was not quite sure whether it would damage the car running these tyres but this has made up my mind to sell the tyres and get the correct size before the winter comes in

Comment

I was thinking about getting steel wheels as well. I saw a 195/55/16 Vredstein All season tyre on a DS3 Steel rim at £130, but still to locate bolts for these wheels

Comment

Not just get wheels spray wrapped for winters then dont have to change wheels?
                2014 DS3 DSport Plus - Sport Red with Onyx Black Roof + Wheels

Comment

My winters tires (continental contipremium contact 4 I believe) are (from dealership) 195/65/15 with alloys.
                  After one Finnish winter without much snow (but usual amount of road salt) I saw now marks In the wheels.

Comment

Working...
                  X