Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brief Power Loss on Quick Acceleration

Hi

I have a THP155 and every so often, when I'm accelerating quickly, I get a momentary loss of power causing the car to jolt. It's always happens at the higher end of the revs while accelerating and given that I never take the revs above 4K in any gear I would estimate it's occuring between 3.5 and 4K revs and probably in 3rd gear.

One time it happened a noticed a cloud of darker smoke come out of the exhaust at the same time, but it's only done that once.

Rather annoying this as my previous car (an MG ZT turbo) had a similar issue and I never got to the bottom of it!

Has anyone else had this?

Regards
    Bigus

No OCC installed or PCV deleted?

At least for me PCV delete and OCC got almost rid off this... probably detonation / misfiring...
    Citroën DS3 Racing 2011 Polar White
    ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
    sigpic

Comment

Take it in and get it looked at under warranty
      What fuel you use?
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Is the OCC/PCV thing some kind of mod? I haven't had anything done to the car.

Petrol-wise, I just use standard 95, mostly from Sainsburys!

A couple of other things I have noticed is that there is a little engine oil pooled on top of the engine and definitely not spillage. I wonder if there is oil leaking somewhere it shouldn't when the engine is under pressure. The other is that my coolant level has gone from max to just above min in the header tank and it was probably about 3 months ago when I topped it up to max. I don't think I've ever had a car that hasn't required occassional topping up of the coolant though, so maybe that's just normal.

Bigus

Comment

Originally posted by Bigus View Post
          Thanks for the replies.

Is the OCC/PCV thing some kind of mod? I haven't had anything done to the car.

Petrol-wise, I just use standard 95, mostly from Sainsburys!

A couple of other things I have noticed is that there is a little engine oil pooled on top of the engine and definitely not spillage. I wonder if there is oil leaking somewhere it shouldn't when the engine is under pressure. The other is that my coolant level has gone from max to just above min in the header tank and it was probably about 3 months ago when I topped it up to max. I don't think I've ever had a car that hasn't required occassional topping up of the coolant though, so maybe that's just normal.

Bigus
          Get it to your dealer ASAP.

There's a number of threads on the same issue posted here.

If left too long this could result in an engine failure.

http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....5-Acceleration
          http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....ion-cold-start
          http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....THP-power-loss
          cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Mmmm - I'm not sure about the oil, I think I read about that in other posts on the forum, you could see if a forum search turns up anything useful. Sorry to not be more helpful I own a diesel so have no experience of the THP155

Good luck

Ah Fishy beat me to it !!!
            Last edited by lfcrule1972; 12-09-2013, 07:14. Reason: Noted that Fish has posted the links ! :o)
            sigpic

Comment

Oil on top of engine isn't great- positive pressure means its being pushed out from somewhere
              Sounds like a little bit could be being burnt too. something could be leaking somewhere

Never heard of it on a 155, happened to a few 150s tho- get it checked
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

OK thanks, I've booked it in for tomorrow morning.

What is that "HPFP" you speak of in one of those threads you linked to, Dangerousfish?

If it is the timing chain it sounds a bit like the dealer isn't going to be immediately inclined to fix that! Interesting that they used metal timing chains - I wonder if that explains why the engine sounds a bit noisier/rattly while idling than I was expecting.

I'll be sure to ask what exactly they fixed when I get it back too!

Comment

What is that "HPFP" you speak of in one of those threads you linked to?
                  High Pressure Fuel Pump
                  Originally posted by cyclone
                  It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                  Originally posted by Broda
                  I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

OK thanks, I've booked it in for tomorrow morning.

What is that "HPFP" you speak of in one of those threads you linked to, Dangerousfish?

If it is the timing chain it sounds a bit like the dealer isn't going to be immediately inclined to fix that! Interesting that they used metal timing chains - I wonder if that explains why the engine sounds a bit noisier/rattly while idling than I was expecting.

I'll be sure to ask what exactly they fixed when I get it back too!
                    If the answer is that they've simply tightened the chain - This isn't a fix.

Ask them to put down in writing that they're happy this fix is sufficient to resolve any future issues that may incur the same symptoms and if not that they'll provide you with a full refund.
                    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Oh dear it's happing to the 155 s now
                      DS3 RACING | SUPERCHIPPED 233bhp/321nm | ITG INDUCTION

sigpic

Comment

First one of this Ive heard so far. Theres been turbo problems and HPFP problems
                        Not heard of timing chain/tensioner issues as yet
                        But lets see. Be interesting to find out Citroens diagnosis
                        sigpic
                        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Oil on rocker cover seems faulty sealing or pressure escaping due to something being blocked...

Coolant fluid is either burning or leaking. If there is no coolant under car, then it is burning? White smoke from exhaust? Failed gasket?
                          ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
                          sigpic

Comment

Lol .. this is the the second DS3 to have the same symptoms as mine, it seems that they can't solve this issue with the engine. My theory is that the oil vapor has blocked the PCV and intake and that just starts destroying the engine.

Mine is about to turn 3 years old, it has the same symptoms as this one and it got worse, now my engine feels down on power and it leaked oil two times (first time the same as in this thread, the other time was a big leak from the bottom of the engine).

I don't know about a PCV delete and i think it's better to leave the PCV and just put an oil catch can, and a good one.

At first I just thought the heat in my hometown got to the engine but it seems to have nothing to do with hot weather :P

Comment

Originally posted by Fooda View Post
                              Lol .. this is the the second DS3 to have the same symptoms as mine, it seems that they can't solve this issue with the engine. My theory is that the oil vapor has blocked the PCV and intake and that just starts destroying the engine.

Mine is about to turn 3 years old, it has the same symptoms as this one and it got worse, now my engine feels down on power and it leaked oil two times (first time the same as in this thread, the other time was a big leak from the bottom of the engine).

I don't know about a PCV delete and i think it's better to leave the PCV and just put an oil catch can, and a good one.

At first I just thought the heat in my hometown got to the engine but it seems to have nothing to do with hot weather :P
                              I would imagine you Saudis could afford something better than a DS3

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X