205/50 17's ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 205/50 17's ???

Has/Is anyone running 205/50 17 tyres ??

Only asking because if/when change time comes
    I'd seriously consider taller tyres to claw back a
    tad of ride comfort.
    I'd trade-off the n'th degree of stiffness for just
    a little less jolting over rougher road surfaces (A12 !)

If anyone is....do they foul ?.....noticed the difference/not ??

[only slight problem being I realise the fronts should
    be going before the rears (?) and I obviously WON'T be
    doing different back/front]

FatS.
    :cool: YELLOWS :cool:

Originally posted by FatS View Post
    Has/Is anyone running 205/50 17 tyres ??

Only asking because if/when change time comes
    I'd seriously consider taller tyres to claw back a
    tad of ride comfort.
    I'd trade-off the n'th degree of stiffness for just
    a little less jolting over rougher road surfaces (A12 !)

If anyone is....do they foul ?.....noticed the difference/not ??

[only slight problem being I realise the fronts should
    be going before the rears (?) and I obviously WON'T be
    doing different back/front]

FatS.
    I really wouldn't consider this myself, taller sidewalls will flex more and overheat the rubber which could lead to a blow out. Also you might need to disclose it to the insurance company as a modification.

Comment

Another reason for Citroen to screw you over when your THP fails.
      Citroën DS3 Racing 2011 Polar White
      ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
      sigpic

Comment

Foul ? as in rub the arches ? lol with the massive arches that the DS3 has I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem unless you're lowered...

Comment

OK here we go
          First there is no danger of a blow out as long as the replacement tire is of the proper speed and load rating.
          A 205/50 17 has a circumference of just over 2,5 inches more than the stock 205/45 17 tire. This will lead to a 3.3% difference slower in indicated speed at 60mph. (About 2 MPH) As to the sidewall height the 205/50 17's is 0.4 inch taller. I believe you have not lowered your car so you should not have any body rubbing issues. Reasoning for that is the new tires will be less than 0.8in taller than the old ones so say 0.8in closer to the bodywork. A number of us have lowered there cars 45mm or more. This would put our lowered cars 1.77in closer to the tires. More than twice as close as your perspective tire change will with no contact issues. There is also ample clearance between the front and back of the stock tire and bodywork. You may have rubbing issues with the inside fwd or back inside edge of the tire at full steering lock. I have not looked at it so do not know how much room is there. No comment as to how this will effect the handling and as Berty said you will need to tell your insurance co.
          Originally posted by cyclone
          It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
          Originally posted by Broda
          I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Since we are discussing tires I have a question besides one that is answered above about 50s (would it rub?).

Sooo I'm a newbie, and my first 205/45 17" tire car (so far 195/65 15") so I was wondering if my DS3 is going to handle OK in snow with this setup? Of course I will fit winter tires...maybe 50 in my winter setup, no matter of 3,3% difference in speed or not?
            Someone advised me to go for the steel 195/?? 16" for winter since 205 17" tend to slide too much, but that sounds disgusting???

Maybe I sound totally stupid, but where I come from no one is willing to bother and explain these things to me (maybe here is the same), not to mention scarcity of DS3. I don't need to mention that winter is at our doorstep, I want to make sure I made the right choice

So should I stay with 205/45 R17; go for 205/50 R17 or 195/?? R16 for winter setup??

Last edited by DS3SaBoy; 09-09-2013, 05:37.
            ...4 million people are very lucky to live in Bosnia...others didn't have that kind of luck, but have everything else...

Comment

I run 205/45 17 snow tires on my original citroen rims. They work just fine for me in the snow and cold wet winter months. The 195/55 16 size will be better in the snow than the 205/45 17's. Cheeper also 17in snow tires are $$$$$ and there is an economic aspect to this equation. I have 18in rimes for the summer so just got winter tires for the original rims. If your keeping the original 17in for the summer then I would just go with 16in winter tires on steel or cheep alu rims. Either size with a snow tire will be loads better than staying on the summer tires the car comes with.

Comment

@cyclone: Thanks a lot. I appreciate it
                I will go for original size winter tires no matter of expenses or check out the prices of rims and tires together for winter setup.
                The most important info was that 17's handle OK in winter time.

If someone would like to add something it is very much appreciated.

Best,
                T
                ...4 million people are very lucky to live in Bosnia...others didn't have that kind of luck, but have everything else...

Comment

Yah they are OK. I know its not a direct comparison but run 235 18in winter tires on my other car they work fine also.

Comment

Working...
                  X