Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Build Up after 2 weeks? 150 THP

Hi Guys,

I have read/searched a lot of posts about the issues with the 150 THP engine on here. I am just wanting some advice before I face my dealer this week...

So the story starts with getting a 61 plate Dsport+ 150 THP, first two weeks great, then in 5th/6th gear I felt a stutter, so I came on here for advice, found out about timing chains etc. The next several times I drove it, no issues at all but to be safe I then took it to the dealer, got it straight in for checks. They have come back with "there is a carbon build up" they are adding some cleaner to remove it then it should "perfect".

It has done 27k and has not been in with any issues before. I know that they sell thousands of DS3's and the comments on here are only a handful but want to have an argument when they start to get technical. Their comment for the build up was "the change in driving style from the old driver" and "they sometimes might just need a good rev".

Now from the issues I have read on here, is this a sign of more issues to come?

I am still within my 30 days money back, it has one year warranty left, so I am trying to get them to add another in case(two years on a used car is pretty good). If not I may ask them to take it back and then carry on looking or swap to a diesel. What are you thoughts with your expediences?

Thanks
    Royce

Originally posted by Royceybaby View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have read/searched a lot of posts about the issues with the 150 THP engine on here. I am just wanting some advice before I face my dealer this week...

So the story starts with getting a 61 plate Dsport+ 150 THP, first two weeks great, then in 5th/6th gear I felt a stutter, so I came on here for advice, found out about timing chains etc. The next several times I drove it, no issues at all but to be safe I then took it to the dealer, got it straight in for checks. They have come back with "there is a carbon build up" they are adding some cleaner to remove it then it should "perfect".

It has done 27k and has not been in with any issues before. I know that they sell thousands of DS3's and the comments on here are only a handful but want to have an argument when they start to get technical. Their comment for the build up was "the change in driving style from the old driver" and "they sometimes might just need a good rev".

Now from the issues I have read on here, is this a sign of more issues to come?

I am still within my 30 days money back, it has one year warranty left, so I am trying to get them to add another in case(two years on a used car is pretty good). If not I may ask them to take it back and then carry on looking or swap to a diesel. What are you thoughts with your expediences?

Thanks
    Royce
    Really feel for you mate ...............the engine has too many pitfalls most around the timing gear and top end .Most dealers will piss around with the cure all squirt of cleaning fluid when what it may want is the timing chain replacing .

I like the one about driving styles what a cop out :lemon:at the end of the day unless it fails totally you have to go along with what they say if you start quoting chapter and forum verse they will just hide behind ..............."we have sold loads never had a problem sir "

at the end of the day there are loads of Chocolate THP engines out there
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-M...71187626414180

Pop in and give me a like

Comment

Props to you for actually looking through the threads on here 1st - most cant be arsed.

You said that it's a '61' plate, Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure that we've heard of THP engines having the major timing chain / PVC / piston problems going all the way up to '12' plates so Royceybaby I believe that you're engine is still within the time frame of the problem builds

Stand your ground and prepare to duke it out !

Comment

Zack ............ do you use/have you used BG44k?? It claims to remove carbon build up in engines.

Ive used BG244 on my previous (high mileage) van that started hesitated constantly and the local dealer claimed nothing was amiss. I tried BG244 and it worked really well as it cured the hesitation. The boss genuinely thought i'd had it fixed at my own expense at another garage such was the difference.

Not sure if it would help with your issues?

Comment

Mines been sweet since Ive had it- 27k so far

Comment

Originally posted by Coupese View Post
            Zack ............ do you use/have you used BG44k?? It claims to remove carbon build up in engines.

Ive used BG244 on my previous (high mileage) van that started hesitated constantly and the local dealer claimed nothing was amiss. I tried BG244 and it worked really well as it cured the hesitation. The boss genuinely thought i'd had it fixed at my own expense at another garage such was the difference.

Not sure if it would help with your issues?
            I spent hours researching BG244 last night, some very positive reports, ive ordered a can.

Comment

Superfly..... BG244 is for diesels ONLY, you have a Sport 150 which I assume is diesel (115 is highest standard spec)

Isn't BG44k for petrol engines??

Comment

Superfly..... BG244 is for diesels ONLY, you have a Sport 150 which I assume is diesel (115 is highest standard spec)

Isn't BG44k for petrol engines??
                Prepare to flap - check Amazon order - cancel flap.

My mistake, I meant BG44k

Comment

Interesting to see if you find any difference ..... Genuinely worked well for me on a high mileage non turbo diesel van.

Comment

Interesting to see if you find any difference ..... Genuinely worked well for me on a high mileage non turbo diesel van.
                    I would have thought so, its done 20k miles and I only really started using decent fuel over about the last 5K. While i'm away the car isn't used much but when it is its normally short journeys which obviously isn't ideal.

Comment

So, my new air filter is at home along with new bulbs for the front end, the BG44k on its way from Amazon and the car is booked in at SP Tuning for early Oct. Today il hopefully be hunting down some discs and pads, just need to source some decent tyres.

Comment

Are you using the BG44k as preventative measure, or have you got hesitation issues Superfly?
                        Getting a remap done?
                        sigpic
                        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                          Are you using the BG44k as preventative measure, or have you got hesitation issues Superfly?
                          Getting a remap done?
                          As per post 10 mate, no hesitation but with the mileage and circumstances its a no brainer for me, I have a Pipecross filter at home in the man-cave along with things like new front end bulbs. Remap yes, will be a nice drive back down the M1 at 50mph through the road works (unless they have gone).

Comment

M1 Roadworks gone (Toddington way) - they've put them all on M25 just for fun LOL
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                              M1 Roadworks gone (Toddington way) - they've put them all on M25 just for fun LOL
                              As long as its not the part from the M1 to the A127 I don't care.

Comment

Working...
                              X