X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THP155 engine problems?

Hi,

Basically the car sounds like a diesel.

I first heard it a few weeks ago but didn’t think must of it. Cold start maybe.
    As the weeks have gone on ive noticed it a bit more and its making the sound even after a good 30 min drive. The car has only done 2300 miles so far and doesn’t sound like how it did when I first got it.

I tried to have a little look to see if anything was out of place, Pulled out the dip stick and there’s hardly any oil on there. I would have thought the dip stick would have been covered in oil but there was only a little. Not sure if this is the problem?

Then there’s a whining noise when driving. Not too sure if this is the sound of most dsports because it sounded like this when I first got the car but now it’s getting a bit suspicious. It doesn’t sound like a turbo whine either. It’s always around 1800 - 2000 revs.

I will be taking the car back to Citroen on Saturday but if anyone has got any advice. Please help

Thanks,
    Joe
    94JDA

Originally posted by Joeauger View Post
    Hi,

I first heard it a few weeks ago but didn’t think must of it. Cold start maybe.
    As the weeks have gone on ive noticed it a bit more and its making the sound even after a good 30 min drive. The car has only done 2300 miles so far and doesn’t sound like how it did when I first got it.

I tried to have a little look to see if anything was out of place, Pulled out the dip stick and there’s hardly any oil on there. I would have thought the dip stick would have been covered in oil but there was only a little. Not sure if this is the problem?

Then there’s a whining noise when driving. Not too sure if this is the sound of most dsports because it sounded like this when I first got the car but now it’s getting a bit suspicious. It doesn’t sound like a turbo whine either. It’s always around 1800 - 2000 revs.

I will be taking the car back to Citroen on Saturday but if anyone has got any advice. Please help

Thanks,
    Joe
    First top up the oil with the correct type/grade coz these motors are very picky on oil type

The whining noise my one did that and maybe normal
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-M...71187626414180

Pop in and give me a like

Comment

Monkeys right on the oil type- get the stuff from Citroen and keep the receipt

To get a good reading, mine has to have been left a minimum of 6 hours. Put your hand on top of the engine, it shouldn't even be slightly warm.
      Somebody on here said 10 mins and then check- that's Tosh. (Didn't wanna upset the person by saying so)A fair bit of oil is still coating lots of engine parts

Also- the camber of the road has a big effect. If car leans only a little away from the dipstick, youd be surprised at how it appears half empty. And of course the temptation is to fill to max- then your overfilled. And vice versa.

Read some info rapides on another site, and in the early days, just a low oil level caused major problems on THPs, so it aint good to get even low on oil
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
        Monkeys right on the oil type- get the stuff from Citroen and keep the receipt
        Totally agree never known a motor so picky on oil and some seem to burn more than others (or blow by) I had a Focus ST and that never used a drop and that worried me as well lol ............thought it was a dirty mark painted on the dip stick

Comment

I'm just worried how it can be low and its only done 2300 miles.
          I first of all had the car on a curb so not so accurate reading for that but when i took it to a level car park it was near enough the same.

How far should the oil go up on the dipstick? and should you be able to see a thick coating?
          Last edited by Joeauger; 27-09-2013, 09:55.
          94JDA

Comment

I'm just worried how it can be low and its only done 2300 miles.
            I first of all had the car on a curb so not so accurate reading for that but when i took it to a level car park it was near enough the same.

How far should the oil go up on the dipstick? and should you be able to see a thick coating?
            There are marks on the dip stick for level and as you have only done 2.3K I would have thought the oil would be clean also new synthetic oil is not really thick

Comment

Maybe the oil is better than what i am used to then.
              Oil might be fine then.

Just need to sort out the noise from the engine now
              94JDA

Comment

Maybe the oil is better than what i am used to then.
                Oil might be fine then.

Just need to sort out the noise from the engine now
                You might find the noise is normal .............like a gear whine I got used to it in mine sounded more like a straight cut gear noise

Comment

Maybe a tappet gone?
                  94JDA

Comment

Maybe a tappet gone?
                    Tappet would not whine that would make a rattling noise

Comment

Hi,

Thanks,
                      Joe
                      Maybe a tappet gone?
                      Originally posted by monkeynuts View Post
                      Tappet would not whine that would make a rattling noise
                      Originally posted by cyclone
                      It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                      Originally posted by Broda
                      I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Whining will be a warning bearing of something, especially if the oil was low. is it louder from below or the top of the engine?
                        Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

The oil should really be tiny bit below the top metal band, or notch. As said, flat ground, cold engine. (Mines about 4/5ths at the mo, when on slight incline reads half, and on an adverse camber can read on lowest)
                          If low do a couple hundred millelitres at a time
                          If engine parts are not coated with oil (When you start engine wait for 30secs to a minute before pulling away) the metal parts get really hot and distort. This can make all sorts of sounds because of tiny fraction ill fitting parts. When you then fill up with oil, it wont get over the issue. But hey, all cars make a noise

Mine uses a little now which is fine, but my last DS3 used none in 23k!
                          Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but its pretty important
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                          X