New Whistling Noise. Increases with revs. DS3 DSport 110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Whistling Noise. Increases with revs. DS3 DSport 110

Well have not needed to come here too often since getting the DS3 last August so it's been going pretty well so far, however an odd noise has recently appeared and I am not sure what it could be. It's not always there but this morning was pretty persistent, although it did stop for a few minutes before starting up again.

It's hard to describe. Some would say it's a whistle but it sounds to me very much like the noise you would get from an old AM radio that was no shielded. When I rev the engine the noise increases in pitch so it's going up and down in direct relation to the revs. It's there with the radio turned off. Also with the air-con turned off...I thought it might be that but apparently not.

It's been happening over the last few weeks. It stopped for a few days but started again this morning. Sounds like it's coming from within the car as I can't hear it outside with the engine running. Seems to be coming from the centre console.

I did check out the other threads concerning a whistling noise but was not sure that they were relevant.

Any thoughts?

Saul.

Hi Saul. At a guess, would think that air is being sucked in somewhere like a small gap/ hole, or some sort of seal which has broken somewhere. Have you knocked or bumped the car recently, or had anything removed/added to the car.
    I had a whistling sound from my air filter once, but only at certain revs. Just refitted the airfilter, and ensured the screws were tight. Not saying its that- just an example
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Thanks Chris. No knocks recently although we do have a lot of pot holes around here to the car does take a hit every now and then

Will have to take a closer look and see if I can narrow down where it's coming from. It's also due for a service soon so might get them to look at it when it goes in. If I find out what is causing It I will be sure to post back.

Comment

Turbo Whistle ? lol

Comment

Sounds like an earth cable that hasn't been grounded.

WTF had the same issue.

Have a read here: http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....ght=info+rapid
          WTF's issue: http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....sound-THIS-bad

There's an info rapide for this that any Citroen dealership should be able to dig out. I'd expect it to be covered under warranty.
          cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Does someone need a link to "Cute Kittens" again?
            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
            Bigfeet's File Repository
            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Yeah, sounds exactly like mine. Tends to come and go depending on how many bumps in the road I go over.
              My DS3R3... nearly....
              New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Did you get to the bottom of this Saul?
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Like Liam said and WTF had experience... sounds like a Earth Cable MPG Recall. I've had mine done too and shouldn't have any problems with the dealers doing it
                  :ds3:The Parts Advisor:ds3:
                  Partsworld-UK.com
                  Email
                  Call: 01246 268896
                  We're also dealers for Alfa, Fiat, Abarth, Hyundai, Seat, Suzuki and Volvo
                  *Please take a minute to write a quick review under your items on Partsworld-UK.com and also on Facebook*

Comment

Im having a simmilar issue. In my car, the sound comes from the central speaker, you can try it by puting your hand over it and see if it mufles the sound. Im hesitant to go to the mechanic because, it doesent do that everytime and i dont want to come there and explain it and then there wouldnt be a sound and i would look like a fool .

Comment

Not had mine done but haven't heard it for a while. I think it's definitely a bad earth cable though.

Comment

Well the strangest of all things is that, it didnt even once do this trough the winter, first time this year it happened one week ago. Sometimes it would stop if i would turn the car off and then back, but sometimes that doesent work. Mostly it starts hissing when i drive over a big bumb or when im driving really fast.

Comment

Don't think I have heard it on our DS3 for months now. Will mention it when it goes in for a service but they probably won't do anything about it.

Comment

I had that problem with the sort of feedback noise coming from the central dash speaker. Really intermittent so I took a video on my phone to show the dealer. It didn't happen when I took it in but from the video they knew what it was and ordered a part.

Since I've had this part fitted, it has actually happened a couple of times again and I've got another video to show them. My warranty runs out in a couple of months so if it does pop up again I'll be going back in.
                            May 2011 - October 2015: White body/black roof/white Bellone THP150
                            October 2015 - Present: Black body/emerald green roof/black Aphrodite THP165
                            Instagram @adamds3

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan@Partsworld-uk.com View Post
                              Like Liam said and WTF had experience... sounds like a Earth Cable MPG Recall. I've had mine done too and shouldn't have any problems with the dealers doing it
                              Dragging this from the past, what was the recall issue regarding the earth cable?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X