Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.6THP DSport - Rattle/knocking from belt assembley

Hi, all.
    I've recently taken ownership of an 11 plate 1.6THP, up 'til today its been fantastic and I've had no troubles whatsoever. This morning however, stopped at the lights near the end of my commute, I heard a rough/rattly sound, my first thought was that it's the Transit in front of me as it sounded like a old rough engine noise, however, parked up at work and heard it again. Lifted bonnet for a brief poke around and it appears to be emanating from or around the belt pulley assembly, closest to the driver. I'm hoping that there is either something caught in the pulley or there's a bearing on the way out. Has anyone experienced something similar? I'm not up to speed with the workings of the engine so not sure where the timing belt/water pump are located and have everything crossed that it's not something more sinister.

Bit of background info:
    Noise definitely wasn't there when I left home
    No drop off in performance
    Noise only noticeable when idling (could just be drowned out at speed of course)
    Car registered in March 11
    36k Miles

Many thanks for anything back in advance

Hi there

This sounds similar to what happened to mine ......a very rough rattling noise when idle or in low revs? Mine went back for a new timing chain / tensioner / and other related bits all under warranty ;-)

From reading threads on here its pretty common on older 155 models.

Take it to Citroen and advise you think its the timing chain. Are you still within warranty?
    ***** Clio 182 182BHP - SOLD *****
    ***** DS3 DSport Plus 155THP - SOLD *****
    ***** Audi S3 300BHP - KEEPING *****
    ***** DS3 Performance Black 210THP - CANCELLED ORDER *****

sigpic

Comment

Thanks!
      It sounds like something is catching on something else. Can't remember the exact date of registration but it was March '11, I'll have to check tonight to make sure I'm still in warranty. On which subject, should (and I hope it doesn't) this issue drag its heels and as I'm near the end of my warranty period, I assume any works that are undertaken past the end of the warranty will be undertaken under warranty if the initial diagnostic was undertaken within the warranty period?

Comment

Sounds like the Timing chain stretch, and/or tensioners as beens said. Yours is a THP 150 and a few suffered with that
        Have you checked the oil? Make sure its not low as that would mean the chain wasnt lubed up- dont indicate the problem could be because the oil was low

Get it booked in pretty quick, before the warranty date expiry, then they should honour any work needed
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Booked in to Leeds dealership, but earliest available slot was Mon 17th...something in the deepest depths of my memory is telling me that the registration date was 17th March 2011! I'll have to check and re-arrange if it is!

Comment

Technically your warranty wouldnt expire till Midnight of 17th, so you should be OK
            Once its booked in, any problem they find is covered
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Actually, thinking about it, will the '11 plates not have stated after April 1st, in which case I'm completely wrong and I was obviously registered in April '11 NOT March so should be fine warranty wise

Comment

Hmm...not good, just checked on the DVLA website and the initial registration was 4th March 2011, looks like I'm screwed

Comment

March 1st is new date registrations. So 11 plate will be from March 1st 2011

Dont give up- there have been comments on here suggesting that Citroen Techs (Mechanics) have said to members on here, that if the Timing chain in a DS3 goes belly up, then Citroen UK may well authorise the cost or replacement, even up to a maximuum of 5 years, as its a well known fault on the car. Mind you, they wont like the 40k mileage- but dont give up.
                  sigpic
                  Jog on Noddy

Comment

When I had this issue on my Mini Cooper S (same engine as DS3 THP), MINI UK paid two thirds of the price,, as a good will gesture and it had just turned five years old.

Good luck - I hope you get it sorted, and under warranty or as a goodwill gesture too.

Comment

Good luck ....hope you get it sorted. Keep us updated

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
                      ***** Clio 182 182BHP - SOLD *****
                      ***** DS3 DSport Plus 155THP - SOLD *****
                      ***** Audi S3 300BHP - KEEPING *****
                      ***** DS3 Performance Black 210THP - CANCELLED ORDER *****

sigpic

Comment

Update: Car booked in on monday. As I intimated the warranty expired on 4th March, as soon as I go in I shall therefore be asking/demanding that Citroen UK foot the bill should it be the timing chain/tensioner fault armed with the precedent that others have encountered, so a sincere thank you very much for that!

I'll let you know how I get on

NB with regard to the mileage, 12k is the yearly average at present I believe, therefore I'm pretty much bang on for a 3 year old vehicle

Comment

Thats good Ketsbia, but if it were me i wouldnt demand anything. Let them have a look, and see what they come up with. They may even suggest they will contact Citroen UK, to raise the issue, if its the chain

You dont want to rile them, when technically your warranty has expired

"Nice person" Ketsbia is what they need to see :-)
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Opps another THP death rattle

Good Luck
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-M...71187626414180

Pop in and give me a like

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynuts View Post
                              Opps another THP death rattle

Good Luck
                              Quick out the traps there Nuts LOL
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                              X