Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery dead...

Hi all,

My DS3 just had it's first year service and is 13 months old.

It has only 4500 miles on the clock, and typically is only used for 5 minute journeys, maybe 3-4 times a day.

The battery died this morning.

I understand the relationship between my low mileage, low-duration drives, and the battery dying - but so soon?

My question: is this something that I should expect to be resolved under warranty?

Surely I am not alone in my low mileage - lots of elderly people may do the same or less?

Thanks,

Adrian.

I would doubt that the battery would be covered under warranty, all that has happened here I think is that the battery is not getting enough time to recharge its levels after you have started it.
    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

So is it truly reasonable and acceptable that with a brand new car I should need to buy a new battery every year?

Comment

I'm not saying that, the battery is normally under the wear and tear exclusion of the warranty.

All that is happening is the car's alternator is not running long enough to fully recharge the battery. Every time you start the car the battery gets a huge drain, if it doesn't get enough charge time then it will go flat.

See it all the time with cars on the pitch, after a fortnight some of them will need a boost in order to start.

Comment

Your battery may not be "dead"; in all probability it's just a perfectly healthy battery that's gone flat through lack of charging. Before you go to the expense of buying a new one, charge the existing one, run it for a few days & then get it tested.

It may also be worth getting the alternator checked just in case it's not charging properly - the alternator warning light is only an indication that the voltage is OK, not that sufficient current is being generated.

Comment

OK, I do have a batter charger at home - how frequently would you recommend (and for how long each time) I charge it up?

Thanks!

Comment

Really.
              Originally posted by cyclone
              It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
              Originally posted by Broda
              I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                Really.
                ?! huh?

Comment

Only drive 5 min at a time so the battery is shit. HAHA That battery needs to be charged and know what, that is done by driving. You have a charger at home just using it at night will keep the car happy and healthy. You already knew the problem, short drives, and had the answer sitting there at home the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by ach5 View Post
                    Surely I am not alone in my low mileage - lots of elderly people may do the same or less?
                    I am near to being 'elderly' I guess (you should perhaps work on a more charming descriptor for we ladies and gentlemen of leisure), and am now using my 4 year old - original battery Déesse for less than 4000 miles a year. No problems so far but there again I often deliberately extend my short journeys simply to enjoy driving the car.

Perhaps you should try that............or get a push bike instead :cool:
                    Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

Originally posted by Owd git View Post
                      I am near to being 'elderly' I guess (you should perhaps work on a more charming descriptor for we ladies and gentlemen of leisure),
                      "Old fart" works for me! (Yes, I am one)

and am now using my 4 year old - original battery Déesse for less than 4000 miles a year. No problems so far but there again I often deliberately extend my short journeys simply to enjoy driving the car.

Perhaps you should try that............or get a push bike instead :cool:
                      Our car tends to do a lot of short (a mile or so) runs, interspersed with long motorway journeys. Never had any battery problems, even after it stood for over three weeks when we went on holiday last year.

Comment

Well thanks for all the replies. They tested the battery and said it was fine. They advised simply going on the motorway for 20 mins once each week.

I knew the way I use the car can drain the battery and not allow it to re-charge, but I was just surprised this could happen in a single year. I am not a mechanic, so this wasnt so obvious to me!

Comment

As long as you have a battery charger save yourself the gas if you do not have somewhere to go that takes 20min. Just hook it up overnight couple of times a week and it will be fine.

Comment

could be the known faultly Earth lead.
                            Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Originally posted by Toxic View Post
                              could be the known faultly Earth lead.
                              I would have hoped that the dealer in question would have run the car through Citroen's eRECA system when it was on site...

Comment

Working...
                              X