Hairline scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hairline scratches

Hi guys, i've got a few hairline scratches around the boot where the dog has tried to get out before I could get the boot liner over the bumper, any ideas on the best way to cover them up?

I bought a t-cut pen but to be honest it's rubbish and made it look worse!

Hi pal. Get yourself some Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Apply a drop by hand with a mf or sponge applicator and watch those scratches disappear.
    Compound is easy to get hold of as Halfords sell it for about a tenner and it will last you ages
    Andy DS3 Club's Resident OCD Detailer!
    Take a pride in your ride
    @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

I knew you'd have the answer buddy!! Thanks very much, will pick some up!

Comment

Anytime pal
        @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Tried one of those "Clear coat" magic pens recently. It certainly worked to a degree, as it covers up the scratch marks with what looks like a varnish type fluid that blends the scratch back in with surrounding colour. Not sure how long the "Magic" works, and its difficult to remove any excess without making a mess

But for £3 off ebay, its certainly worth a go.
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
            Tried one of those "Clear coat" magic pens recently. It certainly worked to a degree, as it covers up the scratch marks with what looks like a varnish type fluid that blends the scratch back in with surrounding colour. Not sure how long the "Magic" works, and its difficult to remove any excess without making a mess

But for £3 off ebay, its certainly worth a go.
            That's what this t-cut pen was supposed to do but it was awful, left a load of residue & made it look a lot worse so i took it off

Comment

Did it several times, and each time wiped off the excess with tar/adhesive remover, and that ment the levels were built up slowly
              Mine at least looked better than a heavey scratch, which under the red top surface made it look pink

SONAX red polish is pretty good too. Actually adds colour
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by RabidRacoon28 View Post
                Hi pal. Get yourself some Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Apply a drop by hand with a mf or sponge applicator and watch those scratches disappear.
                Compound is easy to get hold of as Halfords sell it for about a tenner and it will last you ages
                Will this work on swirls too, Andy? Mine was looking OK until Citroen cleaned it!! I totally forgot to tell them not to when it went in for the temp sensor replacement
                Current: DS 3 Performance, Perla Nera Black with Sparkly Purple roof
                Previous: DS3 DStyle 120 VTi, Perla Nera Black with Fuchsia roof

Comment

It most definitely would with a machine polisher as Matt will testify on his car.

Megs say it safely removes paint defects such as oxidation, scratches, water spots and blemishes.
                  Dramatically reduces the time and effort required to restore a neglected paint finish.

Worth a go by hand, let us know how you get on.

Best bet is to tape up half of the swirled area, apply compound, buff off then remove tape to see the effect. If it's worked then carry on, if not then it may need machine polishing.
                  @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Cheers Andy, just picked some up so will give it a go on Sunday
                    Current: DS 3 Performance, Perla Nera Black with Sparkly Purple roof
                    Previous: DS3 DStyle 120 VTi, Perla Nera Black with Fuchsia roof

Comment

I didn't notice till I got my car home on Tuesday but there is a small scratch above the passenger door handle and it looks like someone has put tippex on it to cover it up! Any idea on how to sort it out? Cheers.
                      Last edited by Jenny; 25-09-2014, 09:06. Reason: spelling.

Comment

You might be able to get the tippex off with a tar and glue remover, or failing that a clay bar. After that, depending on how deep it goes, a machine polish might get rid of it. If it's down to the primer then you'll be looking at having to get it done professionally.

Comment

Working...
                        X