Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried to repair a wheel themselves......successfully?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried to repair a wheel themselves......successfully?

Hi all - just a quickie - my ds3 is going back at the end of Aug, its a lease car and three of the wheels need a good refurb - just the rim area.

Has anyone refurbed these wheels themselves?

I was on youtube earlier watching some demo's but not sure if using sandpaper, filler and re-coating is that simple.....

Also - not sure how you would re-coat the chrome/silver edging of a bellone wheel without affecting the black...any ideas anyone and js it worth it to save a few bob?

Cheers Folks - Paul:ds3:

If it is just to look good at the hand back I would do it myself.
    I did it on my DS4 and unless you look really closely you can't tell
    When I did mine I started with 120 grit emery and worked down to 2000 grit wet/dry then metal polish
    Just take your time and take the bear minimum off and try and gradually blend into the good area.
    I then applied a wheel wax to try and slow down the inevitable oxidization.
    If it does start to oxidize just re polish and apply more wax.
    Obviously if I were keeping the car I would have them refurbed professionally but for a quick fix and 20 mins work well worth a go.

Comment

Fab - thats great advice - possibly just whats needed - if I posted a pic of the wheel and damage - could you tell me whether it would work? Do you have any photos of the Ds4 you did it on? Also was that a car that was handed back and did/could they tell? Cheers Chud... Ps any advice on the metal polish?

Comment

Might be a bit hard to tell from a photo but I'll have a look
        Got to say I'm no expert,just thought I'd give it a go
        I'll get some photos tomorrow if I have time
        I've still got the car until I get my DS3 in September,i did the wheels before I took it to the dealers for px valuation
        He was very impressed with the condition and never mentioned the wheels.
        The metal polish I used was Meguires but I don't suppose there is a big difference between makes.
        I say just give it a go you're paying for a refurb if you don't,so if it all goes wrong you've lost nothing

Comment

Sounds interesting....i think i'll get the equipment and give it a go on a small part if the wheel first and see how it goes - i'll get some before and after pics on here tooo. Cheers Chud

Comment

Hi Paul
            Here are the photos,only from my phone I'm affraid
            The first two are drivers side which was pretty badly kerbed
            You can make out where the surface finish changes from diamond cut to polished
            If I polished the full "spoke" I think it would look better
            The last two are passenger side if you look where the tyre has a chunk out,
            about 2 o'clock,that's where the damage was
            From certain angles they are barely visible but I tried to to get the best picture to show the repair
            Like I said not invisible but better than looking at kerb damage

Comment

Wow.....fantastic - you've done a great job. You can hardly tell... Were the scrapes quite deep?

I am in awe....after a long week at work - i'll put some pics of mine on this weekend , when I get 5 mins from being a husband, parent and employer/employee...and you can compare (still damaged at moment) as to whether they were as bad as mine... Cheers Chud.

Comment

Ps which Meguires polish did you use....there seems to be quite a few....sorry only ever used Brasso ha ha

Comment

Drivers side were deep
                  Think the polish is Megs NXT

Comment

Great alloys and what a great job. Hats off to you Chuddy😉
                    Andy DS3 Club's Resident OCD Detailer!
                    Take a pride in your ride
                    @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Cheers Andy!

Comment

This is the current state of my wheels at the moment. Appalling I know.....and need a clean....Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	356875 drivers side.....Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	356876 nsfront.....i'll let you know how I get on with my temporary repair when complete...

Comment

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh my eyes😢
                          Andy DS3 Club's Resident OCD Detailer!
                          Take a pride in your ride
                          @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

The second pic is about as a bad as mine was.
                            Bit of time and care and you will get it looking much better
                            Post some pics when you're done

Comment

Better sealant would be Carbon Collective Platinum Wheels.

http://www.bearswaxfactory.co.uk/car...eels-748-p.asp

Lasts upto two years!
                              Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Working...
                              X