Alloy rim damaged on the inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alloy rim damaged on the inside

Managed to 'kerb' my alloy on the inside, using one of those car washes with a metal rail on entry. [reminder to self don't use a car wash again]. Obviously you can't see it, and it was quite tricky actually checking it was damaged. So my question is it worth getting repaired? Will long term corrosion cause damage to the whole wheel.

Cheers and Happy Chrismas

Alan

Sorry to hear about your wheel Alan! From my experience with alloy bicycle wheels,if they get damaged and a crack forms,eventually this will become a split and rim failure could result! But this is a much thicker alloy car wheel so made of sturdier stuff! I would at least get it repaired,if I still wasn`t happy, I would seriously consider replacing it. If in doubt,get it checked out! Happy Christmas!
    LA PETITE FUSEE / THE LITTLE ROCKET

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for that Jezz. Hopefully won't be too expensive as its not the diamond cut side. I will look into it when I get back. Happy Christmas!

Comment

Cheers Alan,hope you get sorted soon! Have a peaceful Christmas.

sigpic

Comment

Peaceful Christmas? I don't think so, not with the niece and nephew here! Can't complain they are being very well behaved! You too .... hopefully see you on a meet soon.

Comment

We have two dogs now,a Parson`s Jack Russell pup called Dougal to keep Dylan amused! We will try to keep our household calm this Christmas!

There are plenty of meets I would like to go to in 2016,always dictated to by work though,Heritage Motor Centre in March will be a strong possibility.

Apologies for getting off topic!
            Last edited by JEZDS3; 24-12-2015, 18:47.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWineMonkey View Post
              . So my question is it worth getting repaired? Will long term corrosion cause damage to the whole wheel.

Alan
              I would just seal the scuffed area with touch-up lacquer- you don't even have to make a tidy job of it since its out of sight
              Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

Working...
              X