New amp powered sub help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amp powered sub help

Hey guys, Im thinking of purchasing a new sub+amp for my baby. Anyone know if it's possible to install this with the standard unit in the car? I have the hifi pack fitted as standard but not sure on how I go about doing this. Also is the sub in the boot a powered sub or passive?

Thanks

Hi Remus, There are 2 ways you can keep your standard unit and still use an Amp/Sub.

1. If you are not after huge power and top end equipment, but simply a general improvement you can purchase an amp which has Speaker level inputs. This will mean you simply feed in some speaker cable which is currently attached to one of your speakers. This will act as an input and obviously the Amp will get to work on it. The problem here is that most Speaker Level signals are filtered (usually lower bass frequencies) to allow the stock speakers to sound decent. Feeding a heavily filtered input into an amp is sometimes pointless as all that will happen is the volume will increase, with no increase in sopund quality or bass response.

2. To overcome the filter problem above, you can purchase an EQ/OEM intergration unit (RF 3.Sixty/Audison BitOne/JBL MS8). These units take the same speaker level inputs but flat-line the EQ. You can then adjust the EQ to how you like your music. It's usually done via laptop.

Hope that helps!
    Sag

Comment

Hey Sag. Thanks for reply dude. And thanks for the info. All i want to do is improve the bass. I went to Halfords today and they told me they wont touch the car because the wire config on new cars is to complex.

I think it's a load of bull what he was saying.

Cant i just disconnect the current sub thats in the boot, and use the wires from that and connect them directly onto the new sub which has the built in amp?

Comment

Originally posted by Remus View Post
        Cant i just disconnect the current sub thats in the boot, and use the wires from that and connect them directly onto the new sub which has the built in amp?
        Remus You Should Know By Now That Life Itsn't That Easy :L

Comment

Hehe. Yeah i know. It's just getting a bit crazy figuring how to do this lol.

Comment

Cant i just disconnect the current sub thats in the boot, and use the wires from that and connect them directly onto the new sub which has the built in amp?QUOTE
            I would have thought you could, they will provide the input but you will need to wire power to the amp.
            On order2011 Jan 17- left factory Feb 7. at dealers Feb 24. new 11 reg. 1st march on road. :- Cherry Red Pearlescent body. Onyx Black roof. HDI 110 DSport 6 speed. Mistral Claudia leather. Bellone black wheels.Chrome door mirrors.Carbon dash.City signature.Space saver spare.

Comment

Hey old. Was thinking that myself. Just poped into Halfords again, and they said find out how the current sub is wired up, and i could possibly do it that way. Either that or replace the head unit and some other bits to get it to work. Might have a look at the sub tomorrow and see how it's connected. Unless anyone here know how the current sub is wired?

Comment

Originally posted by Remus View Post
                Hey old. Was thinking that myself. Just poped into Halfords again, and they said find out how the current sub is wired up, and i could possibly do it that way. Either that or replace the head unit and some other bits to get it to work. Might have a look at the sub tomorrow and see how it's connected. Unless anyone here know how the current sub is wired?
                Hi Remus.

Any luck with the sub wiring? I am thinking of doing the same and was wondering if you figured anything out?!?!

Am thinking of replacing the builtin sub with a bass tube.

Cheers
                110HDi Dsport
                Manitoba grey body / Carmen red roof
                Carmen red dash

Comment

Hey djclark25. Yes i have wired an after market sub in the boot. Will be posting a "how to" tomorrow on how to do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X