Replacing the stock head unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the stock head unit

I have a DS3 (Techno) and would like to replace the stock head unit.

Having searched through the forum I have picked up some handy tips but haven't been able to convince myself that changing the head unit, even with the different interfaces and adaptors, will give me full functionality including the following.......

MODE BUTTON Date/Time - Radio/cd display - Trip commuter - Mobile-Date/Time
    MENU BUTTON (in conjuntion with up, down, left and right knob) - Audio options - Trip computer - personalised configuration - bluetooth Telephone Audio
    Operation of the control stalk - volume control bluetooth channel change etc.
    Radio and CD displays.

Has anybody replaced the head unit and still maintained these functions?
    If so what interfaces/adaptors/connection leads were needed?
    Which head unit do you recommend?

When I have it all sorted out I would like to put some kind of procedure together and post on the forum unless it's already been done and I can't find it for searching!

Many thanks

I'm assuming that you have the stock radio with the Bluetooth and USB.
    What is the reason for wanting to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff3 View Post
      I have a DS3 (Techno) and would like to replace the stock head unit.

Having searched through the forum I have picked up some handy tips but haven't been able to convince myself that changing the head unit, even with the different interfaces and adaptors, will give me full functionality including the following.......

MODE BUTTON Date/Time - Radio/cd display - Trip commuter - Mobile-Date/Time
      MENU BUTTON (in conjuntion with up, down, left and right knob) - Audio options - Trip computer - personalised configuration - bluetooth Telephone Audio
      Operation of the control stalk - volume control bluetooth channel change etc.
      Radio and CD displays.

Has anybody replaced the head unit and still maintained these functions?
      If so what interfaces/adaptors/connection leads were needed?
      Which head unit do you recommend?

When I have it all sorted out I would like to put some kind of procedure together and post on the forum unless it's already been done and I can't find it for searching!

Many thanks
      Righ yes I have changed my head unit for a dab one then after a couple of weeks took it back out . on the display you will loose radio function so before you take out use mode switch to go to trip computer you won't need to use cd aux radio function has on radio has they will be options for new radio cd etc. if you buy the right steering wheel control you can actually still get into. The menu for adjusting time turning off/on drl rear wiper reverse sensors etc I actually took mine out .
      But have today just put my dab radio back in but made sure the trip computer was selected before I unplugged. The original headset. Connected up my jvc dab radio my steering wheel stalk still operates the fuel computer menus and I can get into the main option menus and adjust Clock etc. I've fitted jvc dab cd unit with Bluetooth and a jvc steering wheel adapter So yes you do loose the mode switch but you can still get into 90%of the original menus but that does depend weather you the. A SCREEN. OR UPGRADE C SCREEN
      Last edited by MARK.A; 27-05-2015, 21:56.
      http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps710a29cb.jpg
      2011 car 2014 LOOKS ;; RETRO FITTED XENON FULL LED SIGNATURE AND DIM LIT DRL'S AT NIGHT OEM +. instagram #Markaucott

build thread My Transformer edition!
      DS3 transformer edition taking on its most radical transformation into a BMW 320 i

Comment

Originally posted by mikeandsazzle View Post
        I'm assuming that you have the stock radio with the Bluetooth and USB.
        What is the reason for wanting to change it.
        You assume correctly. I am disappointed with the sound quality, it's adequate at very best. Very little depth and generally lack luster.
        It's suggested on this forum that replacing the head unit will make the most difference, as opposed to replacing the speakers which I am quite prepared to do as well if necessary.

Comment

I've done both to be honest just replacing the standard speakers and using standard head unit makes a difference but with a aftermarket dab unit the sound transforms again
          2011 car 2014 LOOKS ;; RETRO FITTED XENON FULL LED SIGNATURE AND DIM LIT DRL'S AT NIGHT OEM +. instagram #Markaucott

DS3 transformer edition taking on its most radical transformation into a BMW 320 i

Comment

Thanks Mark, I have just read that you can use the stalk (via the connect2 interface) to access all the menus including the clock. I hope that's right! I'm not worried about the USB or AUX 'cos that will be on the replacement head unit.
            I'm not bothered with DAB (MPEG2 @ 64kbps!!!) FM sounds so superior in my opinion.
            Last edited by geoff3; 27-05-2015, 22:19.

Comment

Thanks Mark, I have just read that you can use the staclk (via the connect2 interface to access all the menus including the clock. I hope that's right!
              Yes you can you access the menus in a slightly different manner but it also depends which radio display you wether it's the basic A screen or the better. C screen ?

Comment

I changed mine because I didn't have bluetooth or usb .also the stock unit I'd the same as my work vans lol .I only have the a screen so can't comment on what you still get regarding functions.like mark said I still get 90 percent of the functions.
                The sound quality was vastly improved with the new headunit especially when I played around with the equaliser on it.

Comment

I know it's very limited. I use to have. The a screen display. I changed mine to the c screen. Now I can access all the menus and it's just a matter of unplugging a screen and plugging in c screen happy days

Comment

I'm now loving dab radio and loving it

Comment

That's good news. Did you fit an additional aerial if so what type? Can you still use FM as well as DAB.
                      I'm trying to choose a new head unit and have been put off of getting one with DAB because I don't want to have to fit an additional aerial.

Comment

That's good news. Did you fit an additional aerial if so what type? Can you still use FM as well as DAB.
                        I'm trying to choose a new head unit and have been put off of getting one with DAB because I don't want to have to fit an additional aerial.
                        Yeah fitted additional aerial a very tiny glass mount aerial to the windscreen.
                        Don't think looks to out of place
                        Outside view

Inside view

Inside view
                        Last edited by MARK.A; 01-06-2015, 12:17.

Comment

Working...
                        X