Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Location for Dashcam?

Hi everyone,

have decided to purchase a dashcam which should arrive in the next few days.

It's advisable to install it behind the rear view mirror so as not to obscure driver field of vision, however, I can't see that there's room to install it there on my DS3 due to the rain sensor unit.

Where would you say is the best place to install it? Maybe to the left of the rear view mirror so it's only just off-centre? If anyone here has a dashcam installed in their DS3 I'd be interested to know how you're getting on with it.

TIA:confused:
    Jayne
    PureTech 110 S&S Black Lezard Limited Edition - TBC

D-Style 1.6 THP Techno 155bhp - March 2015 to TBC

D-Style 1.6 VTI 120bhp - Feb 2012 to Mar 2015

Originally posted by rowdyangel View Post
    Maybe to the left of the rear view mirror so it's only just off-centre?
    This is where I have mine, you can barely see it from the drivers seat. I posted some pics ages ago about running the cable up the A-pillar, I'll see if I can find them.
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Brilliant, yes the pics would be great if you can find them

Comment

Brilliant, yes the pics would be great if you can find them
        Here you go: http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....l=1#post147286

If you need anything more specific I can take some later.
        - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
          Here you go: http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....l=1#post147286

If you need anything more specific I can take some later.
          Could you not run it into the roof lining instead of across the sunvisor? I've tucked mine into the roof lining at the top of the windscreen on my current car.
          @mike_lowsocial

Comment

Originally posted by mjogreen View Post
            Could you not run it into the roof lining instead of across the sunvisor? I've tucked mine into the roof lining at the top of the windscreen on my current car.
            Same. We're awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by mjogreen View Post
              I'm sure you could, I think Rich has, I've just never got round to doing it.
              - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Thanks for the pics. I'm getting the E-Prance D101.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

Will report back on what it's like after I've got it and installed

Comment

Mines just to the left and the cable easily tucks away roof , pillar center console.

Comment

Thanks for the pics. I'm getting the E-Prance D101.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

Will report back on what it's like after I've got it and installed
                    That's looks good. I'm using a fake gopro (SJ4000) and the lens is on the left of the camera too. Don't forget to offset the camera in your windscreen or you'll get videos which are more left than central
                    @mike_lowsocial

Comment

I bought a cheapy streetwise cam from Argos, I suffer with really bad glare/reflection of the hifi speaker cover on the windscreen, so when the suns out the camera catches that more than the road! Frustrating!

Clever way of running the wires, planning to tackle that soon as my passengers are getting annoyed with the dangly wires...

Comment

I have my dashcam in the same location. Just to the left of the mirror. Can hardly see it from the drivers position.

I ran the wire along the headlining down the pillar and into the glove box where I installed a double cigarette lighter socket which is connected into the fuse box. I also run a rear cam that I have fed the wire through the cable tidy on the boot lid and ran that wire under the lining all the way to the glove box. So no wires seen anywhere and they both start when the ignition is turned on.

A little bit footery but worth it in the end to have it all neat and tidy.
                        If in doubt, flat out!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrib View Post
                          I have my dashcam in the same location. Just to the left of the mirror. Can hardly see it from the drivers position.

I ran the wire along the headlining down the pillar and into the glove box where I installed a double cigarette lighter socket which is connected into the fuse box. I also run a rear cam that I have fed the wire through the cable tidy on the boot lid and ran that wire under the lining all the way to the glove box. So no wires seen anywhere and they both start when the ignition is turned on.

A little bit footery but worth it in the end to have it all neat and tidy.
                          How difficult is the roof lining to get off and does it just clip back in after? This sounds like the ideal location to run the cables.
                          - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                            How difficult is the roof lining to get off and does it just clip back in after? This sounds like the ideal location to run the cables.
                            I didn't take it off really. The lining is not really attached along the windows edge. I basically just pushed it under as I fed it along towards the camera. I fed it in reverse(so the smaller end), so from where the cigarette lighter would be located in the glove box over the top, through the fuse box and then you can feed it to the pillar and up and along the lining so there is only around 2-3 inches of the cable showing next to where the mirror is attached. It sort of just pops under and sits just on the other side out of sight.
                            If in doubt, flat out!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrib View Post
                              I didn't take it off really. The lining is not really attached along the windows edge. I basically just pushed it under as I fed it along towards the camera. I fed it in reverse(so the smaller end), so from where the cigarette lighter would be located in the glove box over the top, through the fuse box and then you can feed it to the pillar and up and along the lining so there is only around 2-3 inches of the cable showing next to where the mirror is attached. It sort of just pops under and sits just on the other side out of sight.
                              Cheers, I'll have a look at the weekend.
                              - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Working...
                              X