Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger passive sub with Hifi head unit

Hi guys.

Looking at how much ripping apart of doors needs to be done to replace the standard speakers I have decided against that (Was so much easier on my old Metro)

May look at replacing the head unit with bluetooth / USB / Ipod connectivity in the near future but I was wondering if it was worth replacing the sub with a 10" or 12" passive sub and using the existing cabling?

Again I dont have the expertise or patience to try and get power through to a amplified sub in the boot.

Would I get much more out a bigger sub running from the standard head unit?

Thanks for any advice.
    110HDi Dsport
    Manitoba grey body / Carmen red roof
    Carmen red dash

There's a couple of tutorials in the how to section.

With regards to getting into the doors it's a 25/30min job. Undo all the screws around the door. There's also a big popper in the middle bottom that you'll need to feel for and yank out.

Once done, you should be able to get to the speaker bracket pretty easily.
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by djclark25 View Post
      Hi guys.

Looking at how much ripping apart of doors needs to be done to replace the standard speakers I have decided against that (Was so much easier on my old Metro)

May look at replacing the head unit with bluetooth / USB / Ipod connectivity in the near future but I was wondering if it was worth replacing the sub with a 10" or 12" passive sub and using the existing cabling?

Again I dont have the expertise or patience to try and get power through to a amplified sub in the boot.

Would I get much more out a bigger sub running from the standard head unit?

Thanks for any advice.
      Hello djclark,

I've upgraded my head unit & installed a dual subwoofer in my boot whilst still using existing sub.

Massive gain from replacing the head unit in my opinion no need to change existing speakers.

It's not that difficult to wire the amp & subwoofer this post should help...............http://ds3club.co.uk/showthread.php?...=fit+subwoofer

Clarky
      Last edited by Clarky; 25-03-2011, 13:15.

Comment

Thaks for the advice. Have looked throught the tutorials and will start putting a plan together.

I have a chance of buying a passive sub on the cheap and would just like to know whether it is worth it with the standard setup or would it hinder the performance as the head unit wont be able to drive it? Its a either a 10" or 12" FLI

Cheers
        110HDi Dsport
        Carmen red dash

Comment

Thaks for the advice. Have looked throught the tutorials and will start putting a plan together.

I have a chance of buying a passive sub on the cheap and would just like to know whether it is worth it with the standard setup or would it hinder the performance as the head unit wont be able to drive it? Its a either a 10" or 12" FLI

Cheers
          Dont think you can add a passive sub for a number of reasons to the system:-

1) Your standard head unit has NO audio Output connections for RCA Leads.
          2) Doubt if the existing system amplifier would cope with the passive sub even if you could connect it.
          3) You will not have the capability of adjusting the subwoofer.

Personally if your looking for better sound i would purchase a headunit first....Makes a hell of a difference in my opinion....You can always add a sub later.

Really is easy to do add a new headunit and running sub & amp cables if you follow the tutorials.

Hope this helps your plan.

Clarky

Comment

Ok thanks for that.

Just out of curiosity, how is the current sub on the hifi pack hooked up to the head unit? I wsa just thinking I could use the wires going to that for the new sub.
            110HDi Dsport
            Carmen red dash

Comment

Ok thanks for that.

Just out of curiosity, how is the current sub on the hifi pack hooked up to the head unit? I wsa just thinking I could use the wires going to that for the new sub.
              Not sure maybe Bigfeet can help...If you ask nicely

Comment

Working...
              X